/> Raising Angels: Donut Day

Friday, June 03, 2011

Donut Day

Today was National Donut Day and the kids and I hit three...yes, three Krispy Kreme shops to get our free totally unhealthy circles of deliciousness. We absolutely did not eat all three of our donuts (I can draw the line somewhere), but we did wash down the ones we consumed with some 50 cent slushes from Sonic's happy hour.

Lest you think we wasted the entire day in search of free food, I also washed all the sheets, made an amazing pound cake (overkill after the donuts but we had guests for dinner and I didn't think Krispy Kreme glazed pieces of Heaven would be appropriate) and homemade zucchini bread, as well as take all 4 kids to the library and watch an extra child for 5 hours. We also brought dinner to a friend with a new baby and had some friends over for dinner. So, even though my husband is currently sleeping on a bed with no sheets(why, he did not put the clean sheets which were sitting ON TOP of the bed on, I have no idea), I think it was a pretty productive summer day.

As I was pushing to get dinner finished and the kitchen cleaned before the guests arrived, I had a brief tinge of guilt at having spent so much time goofing off with the kids. But then I remembered that it was summer and wasting a bit of time with my kids is totally in the plan. I sighed with relief that I did what I did. These crazy outing are the stuff of which lifetime memories are made (my brothers and I still talk about the Lord's Day Meals at the gas station grand opening - eating hotdogs on the curb).

After the third donut shop I did discern that the kids were pretty thirsty. When I realized it was 2 o'clock, I announced to everyone that we were going to get some slushes on the way home. "Three Krispy Kremes AND Sonic slushes?" Aiden asked in utter amazement. "This is like the best day EVER!"

Now that's what I'm talking about!

2 Comments:

Blogger nicole said...

We also had donuts Friday, although we did not know it was Donut Day. Husband bought them to celebrate the first day of summer break. Then I foolishly went to the gym, the library and the grocery store with all six kids. We were doing good until the last 20 minutes at the store, when Lily had a meltdown of epic proportions. Poor planning on my part.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

You definitely deserve a donut after that day!

12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home