/> Raising Angels: Moving Forward

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Moving Forward

School is still a few weeks away but the summer feels like it's slipping through my fingers. Last summer I made a concerted effort to make no plans, take it easy. I did and it was good.

This summer I intended to do the same. But somehow, I've missed the boat. I'm not sure what the difference is.

Tonight, on what apparently was the hottest night of the training season so far, I watched as runner after runner in my training group passed me by. I felt as if this was the story of me lately. Trudging along, watching life pass me by.

Instead of enjoying the view, I was getting more and more depressed that, try as I might, I did not have it in me to catch them. Pretty soon I was on my own and, well, I just gave up. I finished the distance but I didn't do it well.

Life is a lot like this. When my focus is on the people around me, my life seems to get out of whack. Instead of enjoying my own pace, realizing my own limits and working with them, I think about how my life doesn't look like theirs.

My life is good...actually pretty great (and so much better than my running!). If I could just put on the blinders and forget about the other runners, I would be so much happier. I know because I've been able to do this with good luck in the past.

So I’m going to get myself in gear and get moving…forward, no matter the pace.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mom Nages said...

Amy,

I often think of you and the training group. Just tonight, I wondered how we managed to train in such nasty weather! When you feel like the group is passing you by, remember that you are at least training. You are passing a lot of other people who aren't even there. At this point, both your pace and the distance you traveled are infinitely better than mine (which are both non-existent). It's all about your reference group. I am so inspired by your tenacity and your ability to nurture a great family while accomplishing such a time-consuming goal. Keep your chin up and think about the people you ARE passing next time!

9:43 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

I've been thinking of and missing you too! I will always remember that first 10 mile run at the Greenway when I was so far behind that I swore I took a wrong turn. I'm pretty sure I cried when I saw you coming back to check on me...after your own 10 miles. You were such a great source of encouragement and still are. I look forward to the day when we can run together again!

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home