/> Raising Angels: 10 Down...3.1 to Go!

Saturday, August 14, 2010

10 Down...3.1 to Go!

Today was the day, the dreaded 10 mile training run. I dread this one for a lot of reasons.

First of all it's TEN MILES! That's double digits folks, which is a very long way to run. I know it doesn't sound like much but the next time you're in the car, watch your odometer and clock ten miles...then think about running them...without stopping.

Secondly, because of the blazing heat we've been having lately, the meeting time was 6:30 AM which meant a wake-up time of 5 AM. Although I got to bed at a fairly reasonable hour, I didn't get much sleep. I was nervous and up and down all night.

Lastly, this is the point of training every year where I deal with some serious injuries. I live in fear that this will always be the case.

Regardless of all of this I was up before the alarm, so I figured I might as well give it a shot. It was still dark when I arrived at the meeting point and I tried to stretch away the tightness, both in my legs and my throat. I reminded myself of my own resolve, turned on my music and took off.

I did a couple of things differently. I didn't start at the front of the pack and I made up my mind that I would not think about my time...at all. Once I got to that place mentally, I was able to shake off the nerves and get to the work ahead.

The first two miles are always tough. You have to work through the soreness and get the kinks out. We were running part of the actual race course today and the second two miles is straight uphill - a hill that I've yet to make it up without walking this season. As I hit the beginning of the climb, I decided to try to keep myself going by offering it up for Max and his total healing. Praying for my little guy and thinking about his weak muscles made it hard to complain about my sore legs and even harder to give up.

It was a long hill but I got to the top still running. I turned the corner and ran another mile or two uphill. This time I prayed for my "adopted" brother, Fr. Chidi, who is recovering from a kidney transplant.

That got me to over half way and the downhill turn. The next four miles was full of prayers. I prayed for each of my children, my husband, my parents, my siblings. I prayed for some of the businesses I passed. I prayed for anyone I could think of. I thanked God continuously that my legs were feeling good enough to keep moving.

I was thrilled when I at last saw the finish. I was totally stoked that I was still running. I was truly surprised that I was not the last one in.

I did it! I don't care (well I do but I'm not focusing on it) how long it took me. I am happy. I am excited about a new way to approach running. And, I am really, really tired.

3 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Great job on the run! It sounds like you had a really good one! 13.1 be easy for you!

11:27 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Thanks Katie. It was a good day for a long run and I was thrilled that I was not limping at the end. Hopefully this will be the story for the rest of my training!

10:18 AM  
Blogger nicole said...

Awesome! You are an inspiration. Way to go. :)

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home