/> Raising Angels: Filing Cabinets and Bulletin Boards

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Filing Cabinets and Bulletin Boards

When Nelson and I were registering for our wedding...many moons ago...we were having tons of fun. As long as he got to use the gun, he would come along. We agreed on pretty much everything.

After one such registering session, the lady helping us gave us perhaps the best piece of wisdom on the differences between men and women I've ever heard. She was chatting away about all the couples who come in to register and how she wondered if many of them make it through the first year the way they argue through this little process.

"But you guys really enjoy each other. You work well together," she noted. "So I'm going to tell you something interesting. Men, you see, are like filing cabinets. They receive information, file it away and pull it out when they need it. Women, on the other hand, are like bulletin boards. We receive information and pin it up so we can see it all the time."

It was a simple interchange but one that has come back to me many, many times over the last eleven and a half years.

I try like mad to be a filing cabinet but I just can't seem to do it. If I could, life would be simpler and probably less stressful. But that, I think is part of the beauty of the differences between men and women.

For example, if I were a filing cabinet, goodness only knows what kind of costumes my kids would wear for plays, how they would manage to memorize those mammoth monthly scriptures, or even what we would be eating for dinner...tonight.

God really did know what he was doing when He created us. I celebrate our differences and thank God I have someone to help me at least walk away from the bulletin board from time to time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Laura Thompson said...

I love it! You are a gifted wonderful Mom. THank you for inspiring me, for cooking for me, for sharing Mommy and baby clothes and good, Godly wisdom!
Love,
Laura

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home