/> Raising Angels: The Power of (School) Prayer

Monday, February 16, 2009

The Power of (School) Prayer

I have taken on a new project this year. Yes, I know, I tend to do that a little too much but this one has quickly hit the top of my list. Every Monday morning, after dropping them off, I stay at Mackenzie and Aiden's school to pray.

I join a small group of moms and their kids in the school chapel and offer intentions for the school, teachers, students, and other school related things. After about 15 minutes we take to the grounds and pray around the physical property. The whole process usually takes less than 30 minutes.

I have struggled with not being able to do much at the school after having the boys so I jumped at the opportunity to do this. It's not much, I thought but at least it's something.

Well, that little something has turned into a spiritual empowerment I haven't felt in a long time. I have always believed in the power of prayer, but there is something very real and satisfying about doing it on the actual property.

As we walk through the grounds, I can see into Mackenzie and Aiden's windows. I love the fact that they see me at their school, know I'm praying for them and wave to me (and even occasionally blow kisses). I also love that the teachers can see us from their windows as well. Can you imagine how encouraged and protected they must feel to know that there is a group of people praying for them? I can. I used to teach and would have loved to see this out of my window. The superintendent even told us last week that he has seen a marked difference in this school year and he attributes a lot of that to our prayers.

I don't say this to blow my own horn by any means. I say this to give all the praise to God. I know that He honors our prayers no matter where we pray them. And let me tell you that most of us have babies and small children with us. We are often distracted. The boys bring various weapons to fight the battle with us. Some weeks we spend more time rounding the kids up than we do praying. When we walk around the school we don't carry crosses or shout or anything like that. If you saw us, you might just assume we were just walking through.

What I have come to realize is that even though these little prayers don't seem like much, they are perhaps some of the most important work I can do as a parent. Prayer is a powerful weapon and I'm so grateful to have the opportunity to use it like this.

If you don’t believe me (and especially if you do), I challenge you to do the same for your children and their schools. The difference will be amazing.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for doing this so faithfully. All of our children are reaping the blessings.

Kelly

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy, I have created a Catholic Mom's prayer group specifically for praying for our kids schools. If you would like a copy, please email me at dkarbo13@aol.com. Prayer really does work. God Bless.

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home