/> Raising Angels: In Response to Your Anonymous Comments

Friday, January 30, 2009

In Response to Your Anonymous Comments

I want to take a moment to respond to the comments on the little story about my boys showing an interest in being priests. Because of the stinging tone behind some of the statements my first thought was to delete them. However, I feel like the better thing to do would be to explain a few things.

Keep in mind that the boys I was talking about are 5 and 4. They don't feel pressure about anything...at all. Becoming a priest is just a part of our vocational/career discussions around here. We talk about being priests right along with being policemen, doctors, teachers, garbage collectors (I kid you not), and superheroes. My goal is that they will prayerfully consider the priesthood as a real option as they search for God's will. My goal has never, and will never be to force them or pressure them into anything.

My boys are blessed enough to be very close to numerous holy priests, one of whom happens to be their uncle. And yes, we are very proud that he’s a priest and not shy about saying so. He made a decision to listen to the Lord even though he wasn’t certain he was being called. He heard his call during a rather divisive time for the church and chose to follow it anyway. We are proud that he is a priest, but even more proud that he heard the Lord and followed him. We are also proud of their uncle who heard the call to teaching, coaching and marriage. We think his soccer games are awesome. And we are very proud of their other uncle who graduated with multiple honors, a plethora of life experiences and a fantastic job waiting for him.

The Catholic Church has been experiencing a shortage of priests for some time now. This is not because God has stopped calling people but rather that people don’t listen to Him. A priest once told me that he thought that a lot of people’s unhappiness stems from the fact that they lay in bed at night wondering what their lives would have been like if they’d only… Most people never take the time to pray through their vocations. They simply live their lives doing what’s “expected” of them. They get a degree, get a job and get married.

I tend to think that the shortage would be less if parents talked about the priesthood and religious life in normal conversations with their children. I don’t think this puts pressure on them but rather opens their minds and hearts to the possibility.

As to the final comment about it being all about me – I became a mother on August 29th, 2000 and since that moment life has ceased being about me. With each child I have, I learn a little more about what humility really means and what sacrifice truly entails. My life is driven by seeking God’s will for myself and my family, trying to stay in the center of that will and raising my children to do the same. If that somehow comes across as self-centered, I have really missed the mark.

11 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

I applaud your efforts to encourage your children to follow their interests! I ALSO applaud the fact that you are instilling in them a love for the priesthood, and ultimately a love for the vocation that God calls them to.

You're a great mom, Amy! Keep it up!

11:45 PM  
Blogger justme said...

Bravo!!

I wanted de-lurk this morning to comment to Anonymous from the post below, but I could not find a gracious way to address him and defend you. And so I've been praying about that commenter and for you. I come back and find you have said it perfectly.

IMO, the commenter must not be a frequent visitor of your blog because then he/she would know about the variety of vocations in your family - from fathers to Fathers.

Amy, you are an amazing woman of faith and a great example of what it means to be a Catholic mother. I have been a lurking reader of your blog for a long while now and I love reading about your ups and downs in raising a beautiful Catholic family. I commend you for not only being open to the many fantastic secular vocations out there but for also teaching your children that the priesthood is just as attainable and desired as anything else.

:) I'm not sure if that makes sense. Basically, you are a great mother and you handled Anonymous with grace.

12:17 AM  
Blogger alicefunsch said...

Amy,
You are a wonderful Mom....and such an example to me as Nick and I start this journey of parenthood! I already struggle with how we will keep our Catholic fatih central in our parenting in such a secular society. You and Nelson both are an example to more people than you realize. This person obviously does not have the pleasure of knowing you or your family personally! I am certainly blessed to!
Alice

8:49 AM  
Blogger Buttercup said...

I'm not sure how I came upon your blog, but have enjoyed it. I'm not Catholic, but I think it's so important to try to hear G-d's will in our lives, whether as a child or someone like me, who has seen many decades.

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kudos to you for taking the high road and not letting someone's bitter comments get the better of you. I have been reading your blog since shortly before Max was born, and second all of the comments above. I applaud you for including the priesthood as a possible vocation for your boys, but also for striving to help them be holy above all else. God bless you and your family!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

I'm sorry that people left critical comments like that on your blog. You seem like a great mom, and we need good priests (and garbage collectors). So shame on you anonymous commenters! Give a mama some love!

9:17 PM  
Blogger MommyMonkey said...

Good for you! I have been reading your blog for awhile, and you are such a wonderful example for me as I begin raising my family. It is tough to raise a solid, Catholic family in our society. My husband and I feel like we are constantly going against the grain. Thanks for being such a great example!!

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN Amy! What these anonymous rude people do not seem to understand is the fact that this lifestyle is not one we choose on our own but one that we respond to when God calls. God calls. We just respond, we do not choose. You are very humble to share your life experiences on a blog, but unfortunately that also opens the doors for things like this. May God grant you peace and strength as you continue to be the best mom these kids have been blessed with!

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

IMHO, the perceived value of spiritually-guided & spiritually-strong men has significantly decreased in today's modern world.

People stare at me in confusion when they ask me what my DH does for a living, and I respond: "He prays, he meditates, and he does whatever God tells him to do."

"But how do you pay the bills?" people ask. "God provides," I respond, "He always has, and He always will."

It is for this reason that I greatly admire you, Amy, and your husband for having the courage and strength to make your boys aware that God needs priests and men who are called by Him to follow those priesthood and pastoral paths. It is a vocation - and a calling.

Kudos for training your children to keep their ears and hearts open to the voice of God.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

God Bless You Amy!

You are a GREAT mom and a BLESSING to your littles.

Thank you for your HONESTY to your children and keeping it real on these pages that you write.

Warmly,
Angela

9:27 AM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Thank you so much everyone. I am so encouraged by your comments.

A special thanks to those of you who de-lurked. I hope you come to chat more often. I'd love to get to know all of you.

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home