/> Raising Angels: Crazy Cake Maker

Monday, June 04, 2007

Crazy Cake Maker

Boy, oh boy, school is out, but my check list just keeps growing. When I listed all those things the first time, I almost forgot that I agreed (okay, volunteered) to do a graduation cake for a friend's son.

Crazy me. I have to admit that I thought it would be...pardon the pun here...a piece of cake. He's the resident basketball star. I did a basketball graduation cake for Kevin. Easy - I thought.

That is, until I got the call Tuesday night (cake was for Sunday) that he did not want a basketball cake, but a disc golf cake. Disc golf? I have heard of it but had no idea how this would translate into a cake. Of course any sane person would have done a nice round cake, colored it up like a Frisbee and called it a day.

I am not sane. I did a little research on the internet and decided to try to do the whole basket. Yeah, I know, I'm a bit of a masochist sometimes, but it was for the president of the class. I really wanted him to think it was cool.

It doesn't matter how many of these kinds of cakes I do, they always take longer than I think they will. I spent Tuesday researching, Wednesday shopping, Thursday painting, Friday chain making, and Saturday...ALL DAY cake creating. To top it off, Nelson was out of town all weekend and it rained Saturday so the kids were stuck inside with me and the cake.


In an attempt to entertain, I let Mackenzie and Aiden help out. They love dumping stuff in the bowl, cracking eggs and turning on the mixer. Dawson loves that too but this time I let him be the taste tester. As you can see, he approved whole heartedly.


To make matters worse, after two late cake nights, I awoke Sunday morning with a serious stomach bug. Mackenzie had it too. We missed church, the graduation and the big reveal of the cake. And, oh yeah, did I mention Nelson was out of town?

I'm not sure what God had in mind. I'm just glad it's over.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

now that is a work of art! I hope no one got the urge to actually throw a disk in it - you can now wear your badge for best cake maker in town.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Funny you say that. They said at the graduation, it was a hit with the young crowd but many of the adults walked by and said, "What is that?"

Thanks for the compliment.

9:51 PM  
Blogger the holly said...

wowie zowie - that turned out to be amazing! you should be sooo proud! so sad i couldn't see you that weekend - i think i'll come by later in the summer!

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home