/> Raising Angels: Resurrection Eggs

Monday, April 02, 2007

Resurrection Eggs

Last night we did the Resurrection Eggs with the kids. The kit includes one dozen colored eggs, each with a different symbol from Holy Week. There is also a booklet that explains the symbols and gives a scripture reference for each.

It's simple enough but the kids love them. In fact, we haven't done them since last year and they have been asking to get them out since the beginning of Lent. Last night we finally made the time.

It was a precious. Each in turn opened their egg and tried to tell us what was inside and explain what the symbol had to do with Holy Week.

Mackenzie's turn came around and she pulled a cup from her egg. She passed it around to each child and then I asked, "Can anyone tell me what this is called?"

"Ooh!" Mackenzie shouted as her eyes lit up. "Umm...wait...I can't...I know what it is...just a minute..."

"It's a chalice!" Aiden blurted.

There was a brief moment of silence as we all stared at him in awe. "Wow Aiden! Fantastic! That's exactly right. Good job! Do you know what it's for?" I gushed.

"It holds the blood of Jesus," he said in a perfect reply. "I learned that in Catechesis."

Amazed, we moved on. Next was Dawson's turn. From his egg he pulled the praying hands. Now Mackenzie was feeling the need to make up for her brother beating her to the last response so she jumped up and grabbed the hands. "These are the hands praying. They are for when Jesus was up all night at the Olive Garden praying."

4 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

Really neat blog. I enjoyed reading it. Thank you for sharing. My kiddos love the resurrection eggs.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Laurel said...

oh HOW funny... thanks for that. the olive garden. i'll be laughing to myself on holy thursday night, thinking about this.

4:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should send this entry to the folks at "Olive Garden". They will get such a kick out of it.

Love, Damma

1:45 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

I laugh thinking about this too. However, what's even better is that my kids are learning the faith and already know it better than some Catholics I know!

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home