/> Raising Angels: Some Saint Patrick's Day Fun

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Some Saint Patrick's Day Fun

We started our morning with this. Yes, that's green eggs and ham Sam I Am. And, yes, those muffins are tinted green as well. Okay... I may have gotten a little carried away, but the kids thought it was fun and devoured it.



After breakfast we did some baking and played a few games before we headed downtown for the big parade. I was bummed that the first time it's been on a Saturday in forever, Nelson's pneumonia kept him at home instead of with us. Thankfully my brother and his wife and Nelson's sister and her family joined us.

When the weather hit the 80's this week I bought the kids green short sleeved shirts to wear. Today the temperature dropped to the lower 50's and the wind made it feel even colder. So much for the cute St. Patrick's Day attire.

The first time I attended one of these parades I thought it was perhaps the worst parade I had ever seen. Two thirds of it consisted of people drinking beer, dressed in green and pretending to be Irish for the day.

Now that I have kids, I never miss it. You see, all those people dressed in green throw candy with their free hand...LOTS of candy. The kids think this is the best parade EVER.




And...drum roll please...we finished off our day with this! It's that Key Lime Cake I'm famous for because it has become the entire extended family's favorite. And, although I can hardly make it without thinking of Brian and this rendition of it, it makes a perfect St. Patty's Day cake because of its neon green color inside.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

The cake looks scrumptious! Would you be willing to post the recipe?

Or is it a Parris family secret?

Thanks!
Donna

3:59 PM  
Blogger Nadine said...

Ah all the yummy food is making me hungry. I hope you enjoyed your St. Patty's day...by the looks of the pictures it seems that you did.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Allan said...

Hello, thanks for visiting my site earlier! Just a word of encouragement for your children's book. I sent, without an agent, 3 sample chapters of my first book to 15 or so Catholic Book publiahing companies and received 14 of the nicest, kindest rejection letters you can imagine! "Thanks so much for sending the chapters...unfortunately..." Anyway, send them off-you just never know where it will lead! Thanks again, Allan

www.allanwright.org

7:42 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Thanks for the encouraging words Allan. I'll be in touch!

10:51 PM  
Blogger Amy's Blah, Blah, Blogging said...

Making my rounds, the second time, after the blogger party!

You have got to be the coolest mom ever? So much green...I bet the kids loved it! I will have to remember that for future St. Patty's days when my little one is old enough!

Take care!

5:10 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

That cake is too cool!

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home