/> Raising Angels: Lenten Negotiations

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Lenten Negotiations

Mackenzie has given up sweets for Lent and is doing a stellar job. She even survived a trip to Dairy Queen with a hot dog while her brothers chowed down on some ice cream.

We were discussing this last night in front of the boys and before long we heard the strains of, "I wanna give up sweets for Lent," from both of them.

This morning I was reviewing the day's events with Aiden. On the list was the grocery store. "I don't want to go to Kroger's," he complained, "I want to go to Sam's."

"I don't need anything at Sam's," I replied. "Kroger’s has bigger cookies anyway."

"I don't want any cookies Mama. I give up sweets for Lent."

"Wow! I forgot buddy. Good job. You don't have to get any cookies there. We can just shop."

There was a brief pause. "Um...wait....I DO want a cookie," he said changing his tune.

"Well Aiden, if you're going to give up sweets for Lent, you can't get a cookie."

"I don't want to give up sweets for Lent anymore," he said with quick three year old resolve.

"Aiden," I tried to explain, "Lent is about making sacrifices for Jesus. We give things up to remember His sacrifice for us. You have to be tough."

He thought for a minute and then the light bulb went off. "Okay Mama. I will be tough and give up sweets for Lent - after I eat my cookie at Kroger’s!"

3 Comments:

Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

My kids are having it tough too. Heard in my house last night:
"Mom, why did you have to buy MY VERY FAVORITE ICE CREAM right after Lent started, when you KNEW I gave up ice cream for Lent?"
Me: "It was on sale."
(He's not the only one who eats it, and his sister chose a different sacrifice.)
He's toughening up for God this year, for sure.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Nadine said...

Kids are so funny. Don't you just love the way they process thoughts in their minds.

1:31 AM  
Blogger Margo said...

I can totally relate to Aiden!

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home