/> Raising Angels: It Takes a Little Time

Saturday, March 10, 2007

It Takes a Little Time

Some days are just great. You find your rhythm. Everything falls into place. The sun shines. You have smile plastered to your face. All seems right with the world.

Thursday was NOT that day. In a nutshell - in a search to find out information about kitchen appliances, I called Frigidaire to ask them something about their products and the lady on the phone said she didn't have that information and that I should call someone else - Mackenzie took a shower before dinner and managed to flood the ENTIRE bathroom - Dawson fell out of his chair onto his head and then went outside later and fell down the porch steps. And all of this was in the hour it took to get dinner on the table and get out the door to the prayer meeting. It was not a good day.

Friday was not heading in the right direction either. I wanted to squeeze in a run at the Y before Nelson left for work but he had men's prayers and didn't get in until after 7:30. I was already dressed so I decided to run outside. I hit the porch and almost froze. The running is not getting easier or better. I don't like doing things I'm not good at.

I returned frustrated, tired and beat down. I got the boys dressed for school and the each lost one shoe in the time it took for me to hop in the shower. By the time I searched for the shoes and got out the door to take them to school, my heart was heavy.

On the way to school I was pondering my attitude. I know this is Lent but does my desert have to be so vast? Why did I ask for this challenge? Perhaps I should think of this running experiment as part of my Lenten sacrifice. I don't know if I can do that because that would mean I couldn't complain about it any more.

Lent is supposed to draw me closer to God. When is that going to happen?

By the time I dropped the boys off, I decided that I needed to make a change. Two immediate things that I thought might help were to cut out the complaining...about everything and to skip my car Rosary in favor of something, a little lighter. I turned the Christian radio station on and tried to use the music for my prayers.

The music was upbeat and immediately began to change my mood. I stopped into an appliance center to try to get my question answered. After waiting about ten minutes for the salesman, he determined that he couldn't really help me. He was nice enough and very sorry, but did not give me what I needed.

As I was driving to my next appliance try, a song by Amy Grant came on the radio. The chorus seemed more than appropriate for my Lenten journey.

It takes a little time sometimes
To get your feet back on the ground
It takes a little time sometimes
To get the titanic turned back around
It takes a little time sometimes
But baby you're not going down
It takes more than you've got right now
Give it time

Okay God. I'm with you now. I get it. I guess the music decision was a good one. God always uses even the tiniest thing you give to Him.

I was expecting stop number two to be a winner. I walked in with a lighter step and knew this would be a good experience. After about twenty minutes of receiving the rudest treatment I've ever received and leaving the store nearly in tears, I rushed back to the car and gave my head a chance to stop spinning. Now I was angry.

I drove to the next place I saw and walked in only to discover that they don't even sell big appliances. I went back to the car defeated. My conversation with God went something like this:
A little help here God. This house project is huge. I'm tired. I miss my husband. You've given me grace so far to walk through this challenge but trust me when I tell you, I need more. Why is this one thing so hard? I feel so far away from You. Maybe You're trying to tell me I need to do better. Oh Lord, PLEASE give me something...anything right now.

I looked up to see a new store. I had no idea what it was so I sent Nelson a text message. He replied immediately. It sells electronics and appliances. Perfect! I turned the radio back up and felt as if I was about to hit my stride. This time things would be different.

I walked into the store where I met one of the nicest salesmen I have ever met. He gave me some great information and we talked quite a bit about my previous horrible experience. I felt a little guilty about taking up his time since I knew I wasn't going to buy my appliances from him. We know a Kitchen Aid dealer and there is just no way a major chain can compete with the prices we were getting.

He took a look at my appliance list and the prices and asked if I had a minute. I could tell he wanted to help me, so I humored him. He looked up the model numbers on his computer and I watched as his prices came up. They were cheaper than the prices on the floor, but nowhere near mine. Could I wait while he talked to the big manager?

I had to pick up Mackenzie and couldn't wait any longer. He gave me his personal cell number and asked me to call him when I got home. Personal cell? Are you sure? Absolutely.

I left the store happier. I didn't expect anything to happen but I thanked my salesman profusely for his kind help. It was almost as if I had finally hit my stride. I was singing along with the music now and everything seemed better.

When I finally remembered to call the guy back, which I almost didn't do, I got his voicemail. At the end of the message he said, "Have a great day! God loves you and so do I!" I knew it! God really was with me in that store. Isn't He amazing!

Five minutes later the guy called me back and not only met my prices but beat them. On top of that he told me I could order the appliances at any time and he would hold them as long as I needed him to.

Can you believe that? How good is God? He truly knows the hairs on my head. He cares about the little things that aren't so little to us. There was no reason for Him to do that for me but He did it anyway. He even told me He was going to in that song.

It looks like I might just make it through Lent after all. It just takes a little time.

3 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Amy, this was such an awesome story! What's so amazing to me are the many ways in which God chooses to speak to our unique needs!

8:23 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

It's so encouraging isn't it!

12:28 AM  
Blogger My name is Dianna said...

Hey Amy,
My sister works for Frigidaire/Electrolux headquarters and is always willing to check their warehouse for super discounted appliances. If you are interested I will give her your list and she can email you prices.
I got my flattop range, dishwasher, freestanding 18cft refrigerator only and 18cft freezer only for well under $1,000. They have the top of the line stuff but it is hit or miss, just let me know if you want me to check her inventory.

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home