/> Raising Angels: Nana's House

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Nana's House

Yesterday we drove to Greenville, SC for Nana's funeral. For some reason, my boys have always had a hard time with her name. In our daily prayers she was, more times than not, ba"Nana". Even when Aiden became aware of how to say it, he still liked to call her banana because he thought it was funny.

When we pulled into town yesterday morning, Aiden began, or should I say, continued, asking questions. "Why are we going to Nana's house?"

"Aiden," I replied, "we're not going to Nana's house. Nana doesn't have a house anymore, she's in Heaven. We're going to Aunt Annette's house."

Now Aunt Annette has always been a mouth full for my kids...and all the kids in the family, so years ago she began to refer to herself as Aunt Nette. None of this really mattered to Aiden as he continued the questions. "Are we at Nana's yet?"

"Aiden," I said trying to remain patient, "we're not going to Nana's house. We're going to Aunt Nette's house."

"Oh," he said, satisfied for a couple of minutes and then he would begin again. These same questions were asked over and over again for about 15 minutes.

Finally, we pulled onto their property and began to see the animals. "Look Aiden. Do you see those horses? We're getting really close."

When at last our car came to a stop in their driveway, Aiden burst out with one more question. "Mama, now are we at Nana's nut house?"

I was laughing so hysterically that I couldn't tell Nelson what he said. When I finally pulled it together I told him, "You know buddy, today we probably are."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home