/> Raising Angels: All In A Day's Work

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

All In A Day's Work

Tonight I heard a story about a young girl screaming from a car in a local parking lot. A large man was seen holding her down and abusing her. The parking lot was full of onlookers but no one was stepping in save, one doctor who used her cell phone to call 911.

While she was on the phone, a young man quickly walked across the parking lot towards the car. He approached the man no one else wanted to get near and calmly asked him to let the girl go.

The man told him ‘no way’ in words I cannot repeat. He yelled that she was his daughter and, using many expletives, told the man to mind his own business. The stranger replied that it didn't matter if the girl was his daughter or not, he was hurting her and needed to stop.

The enraged father came close to blows with this caring stranger and was distracted enough for the girl to get free right as the police pulled up.

Too many times we watch abuse taking place and don't stand up to it. Instead of fearing for the victim, we fear we might be hurt or even sued. This man showed no fear. It was obvious that his concern was not for his own safety but for a young girl who was defenseless in her situation.

He was in no small words brave. He was in fact heroic. HE was my husband!

All in a day's work. Good job Nelson. I love you!

7 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Oh, Amy, this story gave me goosebumps! What an amazing tale. Way to go, Nelson!

1:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was the bystander physician who chased me down at work and related this amazing story to me about how impressed she was with my amazing son-in-law. She was astounded by his bravery and the kind,calm way he handled himself. I thank God that this man loves and cares for my daughter and my beautiful grandchildren and is part of our family. Thank you Nelson. We love you and are very proud of you! May you always stand up for what is right and of God!! MoM

10:05 AM  
Blogger nicole said...

Wow! What a great example of courage he is to your children. I bet you are glad he is home safe too. :)

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NELSON,

I AM VERY PROUD OF YOU FOR NOT SHYING AWAY FROM A DIFFICULT SITUATION. MOST WOULD. I RECALL YOUR GRANDFATHER RELATING HOW HE CONFRONTED AN IRATE MAN BEATING UP HIS WIFE, AND HE DECIDED TO GET INVOLVED. HE SEPARATED THE PAIR BUT, UNFORTUNATELY, THE WOMAN TURNED ON HIM. NEVER-THE-LESS, YOU BOTH DID THE RIGHT THING. THERE IS NEVER A WRONG TIME TO DO THE RIGHT THING!

DAD

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too got shivers after reading this... Nelson you are truely AWESOME! Teri*

3:34 PM  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Yes, he was heroic! I hope the young girl is safe from now on.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

When you hear the song "I Need a Hero", just look over in my direction. I married one:).

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home