/> Raising Angels: I've Come A Long Way Baby!

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

I've Come A Long Way Baby!

You Are 24% Control Freak

You have achieved the perfect balance of control and letting go.
You tend to roll with whatever life brings, but you never get complacent.

I am posting this result to celebrate a huge accomplishment in my life - balance. As a child I was 100% the perfectionist. In fact, it was so evident that my mom actually prayed for me to get B's in school (can you imagine that?).

Then one day, sometime when I was in college, I was working with a crew of professional artists on a gigantic banner. We were hand painting it and I was having a terrible time painting the straight line that the letter demanded. My frustration was obvious and one of the artists came over to me.

I remember her telling me to stand back a little bit. "Can you tell it's not straight?" she asked. I could not. Then she took another few steps back with me. "What about now?" I could not see any mistakes now. Once again she took me to the other side of the room. "This," she said, “is the closest anyone will be to that sign. Does it need to be perfect? Of course not! It can't be, and more importantly, it doesn't need to be."

That moment changed my life. Of course it took years to train myself to rethink my perfectionist attitude but the longer I practiced it, the better I became. And then, I had kids. There was no choice but to accept the fact that I am not perfect. My house will never be perfect. My husband and children will never be perfect. And you know what? I love them all anyway.

Life is so much better now. I am so much better now. And hopefully, my children and husband are much better because of this growth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home