/> Raising Angels: Happy Birthday Brian

Monday, December 04, 2006

Happy Birthday Brian

Tonight we celebrated Brian's 29th birthday. We went to the Outback Steakhouse to eat but he didn't want the staff to sing so we made him a cake and brought it along. However, when they brought it out from the kitchen I begged him to let the kids sing to him. Otherwise, it's not a party or a birthday in their eyes.

There were ten of us around a big round table kind of out in the middle of the restaurant. We sang as quietly as we could but the kids' favorite version of "Happy Birthday" includes clapping and the cake was brightly lit. It wasn't so incognito after all. As we finished I noticed all eyes on us.

In fact, the same thing happened when we said...or rather sang, the blessing. When the server brought out the bloomin' onion, we wanted to say the blessing. Uncle Brian asked Aiden if he would lead the blessing for his birthday and of course, Aiden chose the one that includes snapping to a bluesy beat and finishing with an "Amen! Amen! Amen! Yeah!"

It just so happened that the server came back in the middle of it to bring us something. But, instead of backing away like a lot of servers do, she stood there and listened with a big smile and complimented the kids at the end.

What a gift it is to be a part of a family who enjoys just being together. A family who is willing to make a public statement of belief in a childlike way. A family who had just one girl and three boys who now consider themselves to be each others' best friends. A family that can laugh at each other and not be hurt. A family that can speak the truth to each other even when it does hurt.

Brian, I am so proud of the man you have become. I am so grateful to be included in your circle of friends. I love the way you make me laugh. You have a gift of humor that you are never afraid to use. I love the way you love my kids...even when I don't necessarily love some of the things you teach them (your turn is coming). I love watching you with your coworkers, students and players and wish like crazy that I could be a fly on the wall in your classroom.

I hope you have a great finale to your 20's. I look forward to the growth and changes you'll see in your 30's. I am so proud to be your sister.

Happy Birthday Brother! I love you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home