/> Raising Angels: Hurry Up!

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Hurry Up!

Today is another busy day. It began with Christmas haircuts, caroling at a nursing home, lunch with the carolers, hand delivering over 30 Christmas cards, wrapping gifts, and will wind down with a Christmas party with extended family in an hour.

I woke up this morning and reminded myself of the lesson God gave me last night. The one I put in the blog to make sure I wouldn't forget. It helped me get going with a much happier attitude.

As the kids were walking the halls of the nursing home, singing their carols I was thinking about what angels God has given me. Their warm smiles, bright eyes and happy voices brought some joy into an otherwise dismal atmosphere.

I was thinking about this as I stood outside one of the rooms where we were preparing to sing. I had noticed the director's British accent and began talking to him of our trip to England this time last year.

I was in the midst of a conversation when Aiden wiggled his way back through the crowd of singers and turned to me in the hall. I'm telling you, new haircut, white shirt, big dimples...he looked like an angel. He looked me dead in the eye and said in the best whisper I've ever heard come from his mouth, "Hurry Mama! You're going to miss it!"

I thought about all the times I have to tell him to hurry up. It's a season of hurrying up, rushing from one event to the next. But today he reminded me once again, of the reason for all the hurrying. How could I possibly miss the chance to spread joy with my children?

Sometimes, I hurry up so much that I miss the point. Today, Aiden helped me get back on track.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kristen Laurence said...

I found your blog through Danielle Bean's site. This is a beautiful post, and a great reminder for this last week of Advent. Thank you!

6:52 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Thanks Kristen. I hope you always feel welcome at this site!

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi.
I got your address from the Christmas card you sent Father Brett Brannen. I am his admin asst in MD.

My husband and I are the parents of five--one daughter and four boys.

I read a few of your postings.

So far they seem very positive!

I am curious to read the archives and see if you have some of the same struggles we do.

Good luck with your angels!

Sincerely,

"Pent Mom" which is supposed to stand for being a mother of five!!

1:34 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Dear Pent Mom,

Oh how I miss Fr. Brett! What a blessing it is to even be near him. You are so lucky.

Feel free to go through all the archives to get to know me and mine a little better.

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home