/> Raising Angels: THE GIFT

Thursday, December 28, 2006

THE GIFT

Ah, the Christmas season. It's always been my favorite time of the year. My mom and dad did so many things to make it a magical time for us. I really can't remember a bad Christmas. Well, my grandmother died a few days before Christmas one year and that was very, very sad. However, she died at home, in her own bed, Rosary beads in hand. It had always been her dream. It was sad, but it was not bad.

Christmas with children is SO much fun. I have so many stories to tell about how excited they each were about every gift. You can take a glance at these pictures to get an idea. And, you know me, there will be more.

I realized today that I really have reached true adulthood (well, okay, it's been here awhile, but I like to pretend I'm still young). In all the hustle and bustle of having three gift opening sessions - Nelson's folks, everyone at our house to watch the kids open our gifts...as well as the GREAT BIG CHRISTMAS SURPRISE (to be told when I have the photos to go with the story), and then at my folks' house, Nelson and I have yet to exchange gifts.

It's strange I know. In fact, we probably have opened our gifts to each other more often after Christmas than on Christmas since we've been married. It comes with the blessing of having so many close family members to celebrate with over and over and over again. Truth be told, I am anxious for Nelson to open my gifts. I love thinking about what to get him and trying like crazy to surprise him with something. However, I've forgotten that I have more gifts coming.

Last year, when we were in Europe for Christmas, we didn't exchange gifts with anyone. We took the trip as our present. It was really nice. I was able to really enter into the holiday because I was indeed on a holiday. This year it's felt kind of the same. Aaron came home. The kids were happy and surprised. We were together with family. What more could we possibly need?

It’s trite but true. Christmas is not about the gifts. It’s about THE GIFT. It’s nice to know that I really believe this is true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home