/> Raising Angels: A Christmas Surprise!

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

A Christmas Surprise!

‘Twas the week before Christmas, when all through the city
Every creature was stirring, trying to make it all pretty.
The stockings were hung but not very straight,
This mama was busy and staying up late.

The family was gathered all eating their food,
I and my husband prayed they wouldn’t be rude.
And daddy in his necktie, and I in my dress,
Had just finished eating and were cleaning the mess.

When all of a sudden my phone began ringing,
It was hard to hear over Aiden’s fine singing.
Away to my purse I flew like a flash,
Tore open the phone and answered in a dash.

The voice was my mom’s and was filled with such joy.
”Come over,” she said, “and see my new toy.”
My dad, it had seemed had given her a gift early,
He wouldn’t say what it was, but it wasn’t too girly.

I loaded the kids into our rather large car,
And we headed to mom’s since she doesn’t live far.
The moment we arrived she ran out filled with glee,
”Just wait till you see what your Dad has brought me”!

We went in the house and to look under the tree
But when we bent down, there was nothing to see.
I stood up and asked if this was a joke.
At that very minute I felt a small poke.

I turned around slowly as if in a dream,
I opened my mouth and let out a scream.
What, you may ask, to my eyes did appear?
My brother from Italy who hasn’t been home for Christmas in four very long years!

This was a genuine, knock me over, screaming my head off, really big surprise! You see we had tried to fly him home two Christmases ago but the faculty at the seminary said no. Apparently, they've changed the rules. He's home for two weeks. He's preaching the masses this weekend. He'll be opening presents with us! We are all very, very excited.

Welcome home Aaron. We're so glad you could join us!

6 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Congratulations on all that joy! How wonderful.

2:16 PM  
Blogger nicole said...

I've only been reading your blog for a short time but I feel like it has been longer, as I was so excited to read this post. What an exciting surprise! And what a gift to your family. And to the Church, as I take this to mean your brother is a priest or a priest-in-training. Yea for y'all!
P.s.--my little brother is currently in seminary, so pray for him that he makes it as far as your brother.
Merry Christmas!

6:38 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

4andcounting,

Yes my brother is now a deacon. We went to Rome in October to witness his deaconate ordination and in June he'll be ordained a priest.

I will definitely be praying for your brother. We say a prayer for vocations every day in our family prayers. In case you want to add it to yours it goes:

God our Father, please send us holy priests, all for the Sacred Heart of Jesus, all for the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary and in union with Saint Joseph.

Merry Christmas to you!

8:37 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Oops! Left a word out of the prayer...all for the Sacred and Eucharistic Heart of Jesus.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Wonderful!

6:01 AM  
Blogger the holly said...

wooohooo! congrats!

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home