/> Raising Angels: The Greatest Thing About Being Catholic

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The Greatest Thing About Being Catholic

Last Sunday at mass I was still in my rather melancholy mood. Dwelling again on last week's events paired with the realization that one of my good friends is moving away, probably for good, had me very reflective at mass.

I wouldn't say I was depressed, just sad and a little emotional. When I went forward to serve as a Eucharistic Minister, I prayed for all the things on my mind. It's amazing how easy it is to be focused when you're kneeling at the altar rail preparing to distribute the Body and Blood of Christ.

Most of the time when I serve I am assigned to one of the cups but this Sunday I was assigned to distribute the hosts. As I gave the Body of Christ to people I found myself looking into their eyes and saying a prayer for them.

When I returned to my seat and knelt down, I was overwhelmed by what I had just done. I had held the Body of Jesus in my hands. I had given His Body to other believers. I was moved to tears.

Suddenly nothing else in the world mattered. What I had the privilege to do was the most important thing. How blessed I am to have the opportunity to serve in this way. How blessed I am to believe in a God who would send His only Son into this crazy world just for me.

Today, I as braved mass again for the first time since last week's fiasco, I found myself so grateful that I am a Catholic. I know that no matter what else happens in mass, I will receive Jesus in the most personal way. I know He will be with me. I know He called me to this vocation of motherhood. I know He will give me the grace to walk through it. I just love being Catholic!

Of course these thoughts helped me be much more calm with the boys during mass. That calmness translated into the boys behaving much better at mass. That translated into me actually participating during mass (well some of the time anyway). That translated into me being able to reflect on these things.

God always knows just what I need.

4 Comments:

Blogger Celeste Creates said...

I love this! What a beautiful post. I couldn't agree more!

Thanks for the lovely thoughts about our Lord in the Eucharist - how amazing!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Simply beautiful. Thank you.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

It's so nice to know there are still Catholics out there who agree.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I've noticed that my kids behave better at Mass when I'm calm and joyful...worse when I'm stressed and angry. Or is it that when I'm calm and joyful, I don't mind my kids so much...?

A very nice Spirit-filled moment described here!

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home