/> Raising Angels: Pondering Poodles

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Pondering Poodles

A good friend of ours has offered us a tremendous gift. We're very honored, but I think we'll probably turn it down.

These friends have a full-blooded standard poodle that they bred. Part of the stud fee was two of the puppies, which on average sell for $500. She wants to give one to our kids.

Nelson and I both had dogs and cats our whole lives. And our kids, well, they LOVE animals of any kind. We have several cats and dogs that wander into our yard on a regular basis and they squeal with delight as they race to see who can be the first to pet them.

I know they would be absolutely ecstactic about owning a dog of their own. They would love it deeply. Why then would I turn this wonderful gift down?

When Nelson presented this to me, I was amazed that I even considered it because I have been adamantly against a pet since we've been married. When we were newlyweds, we really enjoyed the ability to be spontaneous. To leave town at the drop of a hat. Go to a movie spur of the moment after working out. A pet would have changed all that and I figured why add the responsibility before we had to. Once we started having the kids, I felt I had so much responsibility that I would be out of my mind to voluntarily take on any more.

Anyway, here's what I've come up with so far.
1. If I'm going to put myself through having a pet, I want to love it. Poodles have never been my favorite, even though I've been told that they are very intelligent and great with kids.
2. I'm currently in potty-training hell. Why on earth would I want to clean up dog crap, when I am already doing that for two of my own kids?
3. We don't have a fenced in yard, so when the dog needs to go out, it would have to be walked. Guess who would have to do that.
4. These dogs get to be pretty big and we're already busting at the seams in this house.

I feel guilty. I feel a bad about turning down such a generous gift. I just don't think I can handle it right now.

If anyone out there wants to convice me otherwise, I'm more than open to hearing you out.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

We're going through the same dilemma here. We had 2 cats (which suited us when we had no children), but they died a little over a year ago. We have been considering a dog, since a dog can travel with you and is easier to put in a kennel. But we agree that a puppy is a bad idea due to the housebreaking. We're considering adopting an adult german shepherd (there's an agency that places that breed with families - knowing the dog's personality), but I'm stuck on 2 issues: dog-walking (me!) and hair (we've been free from cat fur-balls and covered furniture for a year now and I love it). I just don't know.

7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
We lived right next door to neighbors with a standard poodle---not the brightest dog I can think of, to tell the truth.

It was not well-mannered and horrible with my 3 little ones. Jumping, barking and chasing. It would be one of the last breeds on earth I would choose to own.

I know that you have enough going on now, (like a full plate plus side-rails---picture a pick-up truck with a full load of wood) and I doubt that you will feel differently in a month---dogs are a LOT of work to train and clean up after---not to mention walking each day numerous times and poodles must be groomed often otherwise they look like a walking rug. Dogs often live 15 years---just some food for thought.

I know you feel like it's such a generous gift---but really, is it?

I know you will come to the right decision with God's help.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home