/> Raising Angels: Running the Race

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Running the Race

I am not a runner. In fact, I hate it.

I've always liked the idea of running. All you need is a decent pair of shoes and you're good to go. No matter where you are, you can always run. No gym memberships. No drives back and forth.

I have gone through periods in my life where I've tried very hard to learn to love it. I've trained to no avail. No matter how far or long I go, I've never achieved that runnner's high. It hurts every step of the way.

On April 8th Mackenzie's school is having a fundraiser - it's a run. Last year was the first one and she ran in the Tot Trot. It was short and sweet and she came out of it with a second place medal. This year she has to run the 1 mile Fun Run. I am running with her.

I've been doing the eliptical machine at the Y at least a mile and a half four days a week for a month. Tonight I took Mackenzie out for the first time to run the course. It was hard - and we didn't even run the whole time. It hurt. In fact, my legs are sore even now.

As we were walking one stretch I tried to explain to Mackenzie that in the race, most of the people would be running the whole way. I told her she would be the youngest runner and would probably not win this year.

Without missing a beat she said, "That's okay mama. I'm just not that good at running but everybody's good at one thing. Besides, I already have my necklace that I won last year. Let's run now."

I was taught a lesson by Mackenzie that I've taught her before. She is convinced she runs better than me, per an after run conversation with Nelson. She is probably right. We will run that race together and we will be better people because of it.

Pray for me!

3 Comments:

Blogger the holly said...

will do! i'm with you - i'm not a running fan.

peace, friend.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

You can do it, Amy. One step at a time.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Thanks girls. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home