/> Raising Angels: Potty Training

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Potty Training

Ah, potty training. It's something every parent must endure but few talk about and even less remember how they did it. Perhaps this is because God mercifully removes our memories for fear that we might all have one child and be done with it.

Mackenzie was the first experience I had with this endeavor. She was a breeze. She showed interest, we bought a potty chair, buckled down for 2 weeks and it was over. Besides those initial 2 weeks, I can count on one hand the number of times she's had an accident. She was easy and she did it a month after her 2nd birthday.

Aiden turned two in July and began to show some interest. We did the 2 week method to no avail and put it to the side for a few months. Then we tried again, and again, and again, and well, we're still trying.

And yes, I know he's a boy. I know most boys take a little longer with this. I also know that as long as he is not wearing anything but a shirt, he never has an accident. The minute I put him in pull-ups, underwear or a diaper, he lets it go.

I've been changing diapers for the past 2 years and 8 months (17 of those on two boys) and I'm tired. Lately, Aiden has decided that he wants to decorate the whole house with his ... well, no need for details here. Suffice it to say that I've had it and so have my carpet, furniture, walls, pillows, sheets, and comforters

I've tried being totally positive, giving rewards, being negative, ignoring it. I don't know what else to do. Tonight as I was feeling defeated about the whole thing I remembered a simple principle of faith. Nothing is impossible for God.

Maybe God can make this my Lenten sacrifice. Maybe if we really buckle down for 40 days, something will change. Wouldn't that be a glorious Easter? (Did I really just say that about potty training? I am desperate!) God did say ask and you shall receive didn't he? Please God. I'm asking. I'm begging. Let's get this kid potty trained.

Any prayers anyone wants to throw our way are welcome. He can't wear diapers forever...can he?

2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Oh, you have my prayers. I'll spare you my horror stories. Let's just say that my boys, ages nearly 8 and now 6, cause me more grief in this area than my daughter, age 4. My other daughter is now 2 1/2. I've tried, and she does better naked than with anything on, but she's not there yet, and yesterday, naked, she left puddles everywhere. I'm waiting for school to be done (6 more weeks) and warmer weather when I can dress her in dresses and leave her unclothed underneath.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

PLEASE tell me that they're not still causing you grief! If I could put a dress on Aiden I would. The weather here is actually nice enough to send him out in a t-shirt but with our neighbor situation, I can't do it. Try, try, and try again we do.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home