/> Raising Angels: Sometimes God Says I Told You So

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Sometimes God Says I Told You So

I'm not a big fan of the selfie. However, there are some moments that make it appropriate. Today's moment wasn't a spectacular one, nothing of note. It was simple, unplanned and ordinary.

I took the kids to the pool this afternoon. Most days this is an activity that accomplishes getting us all out of the house and out into the wide-open field, shaded playground and of course, the cool waters of the pool. I love it because it necessitates me being devoid of all responsibilities other than keeping an eye on the kiddos to make sure no one drowns. 

That's how I could look at it. However, what it really means is that I am interacting with all of them. I am not merely counting heads, but watching dives, judging cannon ball contests, timing races, doling out snacks, playing gutter ball (a pool invented game that I must say I am pretty good at considering I have to play with a baby in one arm), and just being. Conversations are real and attention is undeterred by electronics, chores or business.

When I snapped this shot, I had just finished feeding Felicity and she was sweaty and happy. The boys were playing together in the water and it was the simplicity of the moment I wanted to remember.

Her puckered, perfect lips; the hint of her dimples on both sides; that pudgy, curious finger pointing at the camera; the way the sun is peeking through the trees all reminded me that at this time last year, I was totally second guessing God's decision to add this beauty to our family. And yet, here we are, so together that the kids can't remember what life was like before she came. 

That smile from me is real. It's a smile that admits we've made it through some tough times together but things are looking up. It's a smile that says I'm so very glad you're mine. It's a smile that concurs that God's ways really are better than mine.

And that sun in the background? That's God saying I told you so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home