/> Raising Angels: I Have the Answer to this Problem

Wednesday, November 07, 2012

I Have the Answer to this Problem

I voted on the last day of early voting last week. I felt so overwhelmed and nervous going in and coming out of the courthouse that I started spiritual warfare. I can't explain it other than to say I felt an oppression like I've never felt and it compelled me to pray right then and there.

Yesterday and Monday I joined hundreds of my friends in fasting and prayer for this election and our country. The best I could offer was to ask that God's will be done and that He take this country back into the palm of His hands. This is kind of my go-to prayer as of late. It's what I pray when I don't know what else to pray or how to pray. I pray it because I know God hears it. I pray it because it comforts me.

I'm not going to go into the politics or the election any more than that. I educated myself on the candidates and issues and made my choices. I believe they were right because if I didn't I wouldn't have voted the way I did. I trust God will take care of me, my family and my country because he is much bigger than any candidate.

Today however, something else has haunted me. As I watched the election coverage last night I heard two statistics that took my breath away. For the first time in history, there are more unwed mothers in the United States than wed ones.

Wow. It still gives me pause. More unwed mothers than wed ones.

The second and even more frightening statistic was that 1 in 5 Americans now claim to have no belief in God. In a nation that was founded under God, one--fifth of its inhabitants no longer believe there is a God.

These statistics cannot be blamed on any president or government leader. This begs the question - whose fault is it?

Our country is in a moral crisis. Our values, the ones we all used to hold true, have been totally turned around. In trying to love everyone, we’ve failed to toe the line. Nothing is good or bad, true or untrue any more. This leaves no one in charge. Everyone makes his or her own choice according to how he or she feels.  

So how are we doing? How are we feeling now? How does this turn out? Ever read Lord of the Flies?

We need rules. We crave strong leaders. We search for the truth.

Let me let you in on a little secret…I know the Truth. I believe in and follow the perfect leader. His rules are simple, but oh, so hard to live. You know what happens when I get it right? Peace. Joy. Love.

And here’s the thing, according to my calculations, four-fifths of our nation agrees with me. So you know whose fault this mess is? Ours.

If we lived our faith like we’re supposed to, if we followed the rules we say we believe, people would see it on our faces. They would ask us why we’re so happy. They would want to know how we do it.

You know what? It’s not too late. Let’s not forget that we are the majority. Let’s act like it. Let’s stand up for what we believe, what we hold to be true. Let’s share our joy.

We have the answer to this problem and His name is Jesus. Let’s tell the world about Him. Things will change.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVED your comment on Kelle's blog about paring down the Christmas presents. My kids are 10 and 11 and we are going to go with this!

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Meredith Levesque Pit said...

Beautifully said Amy.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Thanks anon! Let me know how it goes. The person it hit hardest was me. ;-) So hard to stop shopping. In the end we were all happier.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Optimistic Existentialist said...

Great post Amy! I just hope our country can come together and that we can overcome our divisiveness.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Thanks Meredith and Optimistic, I hope we can overcome it too.

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home