/> Raising Angels: Never Say Never

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Never Say Never

I've often said that you should never, ever tell God, "I'll never...". I'm pretty sure He laughs hysterically when we do.

For instance, in my lengthy time of waiting for a husband, I did, on many occasions, tell people, "I'll never marry a younger man." Nelson is almost three years my junior (I do hold strong to the fact that I look younger - wink, wink).

When I was in college, I said, "I would never be able to teach in an elementary school." Last year the fourth grade fell into my lap. I loved it.

When I cried my eyes out over having to give up directing our high school plays after fifteen years, my mom consoled me by saying, "One day you'll be directing your own kids in their plays." I answered this with a definitive, "Elementary plays? No way, that would be awful!" This year in addition to directing my second fourth grade play, I've also ended up with the third grade one. It is so stinkin' fun!

And I have, on many more than one occasion in my life, said that I absolutely, positively hate asking people for money. This led me to the logical conclusion that I should never get into sales.

Guess who's in charge of getting corporate sponsors for this year's Glory Run.

It's actually kind of funny how this happened. Nelson, who does sales for a living and is really quite spectacular, was asked to take on this job. This would be a good fit, thought the powers that be. The only problem was that Nelson, in addition to working 60 to 70 hours a week, is on the board of our local credit union, the parish council, the financial committee in our community, Cub Scout troop leader, and landlord.

"Babe," I told him one night as he headed out for another meeting, "you've got to tell them you can't do this. They need to choose where they need you most and get someone else to fill in the gap. You're going to kill yourself."

Well he came home that evening he told me, "You'll be so proud of me doll. I told them I couldn't do it."

"Nelson, that's great. I'm so glad. Who are they going to get to take your place?"

A big grin spread across his face, "You!" he enthusiastically revealed.

"Right," I said knowing he had to be kidding, but the grin did not go away. "You are kidding right?" Still nothing. "Nelson! I can't do that. I don't sell. I hate that!"

I hemmed and hawed for several more minutes before I finally gave in. He somehow convinced me that not only could I do it, but that I would be great. I told you he was a spectacular salesman!

The jury is still out on that but I'm going to give it a shot. Oh yeah, I can totally hear the laughter God. I get it. I'm not going to say, "I'll never..." ever again. I'd say that I should just probably say that I'm willing to do anything, which in theory I am, but in practicality I'm not sure that statement would garner any different results.

Basically, the truth of the matter is that I want to do what I want to do. I want it to be easy and fun and use my best talents. I'm not a big fan of stretching and growing. I'm not too keen on humility either. What can I say? I'm human.

Thankfully, God doesn't let me plan out my life. He chooses the road less traveled (at least by me), and that has made all the difference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home