/> Raising Angels: I Am A ...Runner!

Saturday, June 05, 2010

I Am A ...Runner!

Our training group ran in a cross country 3K today and it kicked my butt...literally. I have visions of myself doing well in one of these races one day. I dream about something just taking over and pushing me past the other runners, up the hills with no end, towards the far, far away finish line.

Instead what happened this morning was me taking off with hopes held high and then losing those hopes somewhere on the dirt hill that I had to walk up. I crossed the finish line defeated. That course killed the dream.

As I was leaving the race I picked up a running log they were giving out. This was the quote on the last page:

If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far.
It doesn’t matter if today is your first day or if you've been running
for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no
membership card to get. You just run.
John Bingham

I needed that. And, this season, I'm going to own that. Please hold me to it!

4 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

That quote is SO true . . . you are a runner! When I get upset if I have not gone as fast as I had wanted to, I just remember that I am out there running (or walking) when most of America sleeps! So, yes, you are a runner! Great job on getting out there!

8:36 AM  
Blogger nicole said...

Great quote.

I also like "You don't have to go fast, you just have to go." I saw that on a shirt at a race and instantly adopted it as my motto.

11:02 AM  
Blogger M said...

I like that quote a lot, and it might become my new mantra. I've been running for about 9 weeks now pretty steadily, and just finished my first 5k a few weeks ago. It was a great experience, but as rewarding as it was to cross the finish line there was still a part of me that was upset because I had to walk some of it. I mean, 5k is really hard, well, running in general is really hard, so good for you (and for me) for doing it. I enjoy reading your blog, by the way.
Moniqua (Acosta, by the way) :)

11:48 AM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Thanks so much for the encouragement ladies.

Moniqua, good for you! You ought to join our training group.

Katie, that thought is what gets me through those early Saturday morning runs;).

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home