/> Raising Angels: And So It Begins...Again

Saturday, May 30, 2009

And So It Begins...Again

Since the Glory Run I have gotten back to running again. Yes, I’ve done it since the big race but it’s been mostly on the treadmill or at the pace of my 8 year old outside. The half was such a positive experience for me last year; I decided to give it another shot, with great hopes that I can do it better this time around.

Looking back on my blog, I realized that I failed to share a lot about what God said to me and did for me during my training period and the race itself. I think a large part of that was my attempt to keep my training a secret except for family members because I wasn’t convinced I could really do it. I do not like failing at anything, especially publicly.

In fact, that’s a big reason that I’ve never gotten into running. I’m terrible at it. Runners to me are people who look graceful in their stride, people who make running look effortless, and the people I regularly stare at the backs of when I’m making my own meek attempts out on the trails. I am not a runner.

The crazy thing is that I do it anyway. And last year, after a few mental adjustments, I not only completed a half marathon, I had fun doing it. So this year, I’m going to record it so that I can celebrate the fact that the girl who hates running, not only did it, but she’s going to do it twice!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Heather N said...

Amy, I'm so excited that you've decided to run again, and, honestly, a little jealous. Have fun for both of us!

2:04 PM  
Blogger nicole said...

I can't wait to read about your training. I feel exactly like you about running. I kind of feel like a fake runner, even though I completed a half. I'm going to run another one in December. I'm partially in training now, with plans to get fully into the program in two weeks. Looking forward to sharing our experiences virtually.

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Tami said...

From one non-runner to another (although, I'm not sure you can call yourself a non-runner anymore after completing a half-marathon, isn't that 13 miles???) -

I admire your tenacious spirit!

7:10 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Heather, I want you to know that I MISSED you this week. It's not the same without you. However, you are in a marathon of your own right now with a prize much bigger and better than a pumkin medal! I will be praying for you and your little one when I'm running!

Nicole, I am too. We can cheer each other on.

Tami, thanks so much for the encouragement. And I'm not sure when I'll really call myself a runner. I think I was there when I crossed the finish line of the Half but after starting back to training last week, I think I've taken that label away from my out of shape self!

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home