/> Raising Angels: Just Pondering

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Just Pondering

While at a stop sign downtown this morning a lady on the street motioned to me and asked me the time. The minute I cracked the window she was at the car door. I was a tiny bit spooked thinking about my baby in the car on a lonely street.

"It's just about ten o'clock," I said tentatively.

As I tried to quickly roll the window back up, she stuck her hand in and asked if I knew where the courthouse was. I told her but of course, that did not satisfy her.

"I need a really big favor," she said. "I'm coming from the hospital where my mother just passed an hour ago and my car is parked in a tow-away zone at the courthouse and I need to go and get it. Can you please, please give me a ride?"

I didn’t think she looked at all like someone who had just lost her mother. I wondered why she parked at the courthouse to go to the hospital. I also wondered how she had gotten to within 7 blocks of the courthouse and suddenly decided she needed a ride. It was a fishy story to say the least.

I didn't ask her any of my questions. I merely said I really couldn't give her a ride. As I was rolling up my window and trying desperately to escape, she said, "I would have helped you."

She succeeded in making me feel so guilty that I slowed down and watched her in my rearview window. I wondered if she would begin walking towards the courthouse which is what I would have done. She stayed in place.

I'm sure she was lying. Her story just didn't add up. However, it left me wondering why I was scared to help her. It made me sad that I couldn't help because I was worried about my safety. Why do things need to be this way? When did it start to be dangerous to reach out to a stranger?

Was I being selfish and unkind or safe and smart?

8 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

safe and smart. intuition is a powerful thing. (the Holy Spirit's way of guiding us, i think). love your blog!

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you were being smart and safe. As you said, her story does not add up at all. I do agree with you though, that it is a sad day and age that we live in that we actually have to think twice about helping a stranger.

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did the right thing! Thank you Jesus for intellect and guidance from the Holy Spirit! Next time grab your cell phone and tell her you'll call for help for her! She will probably back off quickly. Love Mom

10:27 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

You are right Amy, it is a sad thing that we have to be so reluctant to help a stranger. It would have been a much sadder day, if something would have happened to you or Max. Trust your good judgement, if the time arises that you could or should help someone there is no doublt you will. Very glad you a both safe.

8:38 AM  
Blogger nicole said...

I would have done the same. We had a priest here who told us he often picked up hitchikers. He knew it was unsafe, but he felt led to do it. However, he never picked one up if someone was in the car with him without their okay. God was calling him to help, not others unless they wanted to. You have to put the safety of your children ahead of doing the right thing sometimes. And it sounds as if your intuition was right on anyway.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Heather Raven said...

Safe and Smart. Paul has always told me that I am not allowed to give anyone that I don't know a ride. You have to put your family first. And, you are right, she probably wasn't telling the truth. Remind me to tell you about the time my dad took someone to get "medicine", and then realized they were buying drugs. Yeah, he was a little scared. The Holy spirit was prompting you when your instincts said "no". God bless you. You are a good woman, and I am glad to know you.
Love you, Heather

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps your inner voice was God urging you to make a wise decision. Perhaps your reluctance to invite her into your car (she could have had a knife, or worse) was the Holy Spirit guiding you.

Trust your instincts. If you think something is fishy or shady, it probably is. There's a reason warning bells go off inside when something's not right. And obviously, something wasn't right.

And her parting words - pure emotional manipulation, designed to get you to open your door and let her in.

You made the right choice.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Have you ever read the book, the Gift of Fear?

You need to. like the other commenters, we need to pay attention to our intuition - and as Christians, we believe in the power of the Holy Spirit's guidance. We need to trust that, especially as moms.

Good job.

(even though, I totally understand what you mean about feeling bad, and sad that this is how things are in our society today. sigh.)

12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home