/> Raising Angels: 40 Years!

Sunday, August 17, 2008

40 Years!

I spent this weekend with my entire family. I am fortunate to have a family that lives close enough to do this on a fairly regular basis. Even though I get to see my family members a lot, I still miss them when they are gone and I always look forward to spending time with them.

Like any family, we have had our ups and downs. As young kids we had our fights like most siblings. We didn’t always listen to our parents or obey them. There have been times when we haven’t liked each other much. However, we have always, no matter what, loved each other. And now…we truly enjoy each other.

That happened because of my parents’ hard work and strong example. I heard, more than a few times while growing up, “You will be together whether you like it or not!” Family dinners were never optional. Family prayers were not a choice. When one of us had a game or a performance, the rest of us were there, no questions asked.

I guess you could say the same about my parents’ marriage. It too has had its ups and downs. It too has taken a lot of hard work. There have been times, I’m guessing, when they haven’t always like each other much. However, they have always loved each other.

Today they celebrate 40 years of marriage. They celebrated by having their marriage blessed by their son, who said the mass. They celebrated by donating flowers to the church to thank God for keeping them together. They celebrated by taking us out for brunch. They celebrated by surrounding themselves with their hard work and a few of their blessings.

Mom and Dad, we are who we are because of you. You have demonstrated to us the truest form of I Corinthians love.

I am thankful for the 40 years you’ve spent together. I am thankful that so many of those years have been spent sacrificing for us. I am thankful that you still love each other. I hope you have the opportunity to love each other for many years to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home