/> Raising Angels: Happy 5th Birthday Aiden!

Friday, July 18, 2008

Happy 5th Birthday Aiden!

Aiden,

Can it be that you are really 5 today? If I've learned anything, it's that there is a lot of life that can be lived in a very short time.

I chose the music for your video because it provides a pretty good picture of you at this age. I do indeed have to steal my kisses from you these days because of, in your words, "Ewww...make-up!" I don't know why you've suddenly become so germ conscious that you refuse to eat or drink after anyone else, especially when you will dig in the dirt outside and come in and eat pizza with those same dirty hands. Maybe it's just other people's germs that concern you. I will have to say that although I miss your affectionate, kissy days, I appreciate your kisses so much more now that you withhold more than you dole out.

The other song is your favorite one from VBS. I love the way you sing it with total abandon. I love that you call it your very favorite song. I love that I can watch you doing the motions in the rearview mirror. I hope you always approach the faith with such abandon.

The thing that stands out to me more than anything else over the past year is how much you've grown. There are moments where I can literally see you getting bigger. Somewhere over the past year, I lost my baby and got a boy in his place – a boy who is smart, curious, talkative, funny, scientific, adventurous and heading off to kindergarten in a few weeks. I know you're not going far, but I am going to miss you (and boy, oh boy is Dawson too).

You have a wonderful future in front of you. You have so many talents that we have yet to discover. You already have a personality that is magnetic and a smile that is going to have the girls swooning. As you know, I pray that you will always be your sister and brothers' best friend and defender. You are the oldest boy and, whether you like it or not, it's your job.

I can't think of a better person to get the job done.

I love you so much,
Mama

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

That was beautiful Amy! I love birthdays but always want to cry...why do they have to grow up?
Have a great day!

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy,

I'm a priest of the Archdiocese of Omaha. I'd like to ask you a couple questions about the scripture memorization exercise at your school. If you'd be willing to have an email exchange I'd appreciate it.

Peace.

Fr. Dan Andrews

P.S. Happy B-day to your son! My niece's is the same day.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Fr. Daniel,

I'd love to talk to you. You can email me at nelsonandamy@comcast.net

I'm on vacation this week so it may be a few days but I will get back wih you.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

How beautiful, Amy!
I loved the video and I'm sure Aiden did too!

Blessings!

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home