/> Raising Angels: Hate the Sin, Love the Sinner

Monday, May 12, 2008

Hate the Sin, Love the Sinner

On the road to Athens this weekend we passed many a McDonald's. A restaurant that is a favorite among the younger members of this family. A restaurant that we no longer patronize because of its stand on gay marriage.

Every time we pass one, we have to explain to the kiddos why we aren't eating there. Up until this weekend we had talked about it in very vague terms but Friday night we had a lot of time in the car and the question came up again.

We took the opportunity to talk to the kids briefly about their stance and what the Bible teaches us. To help explain it further, Nelson offered, "Even when people do bad things, we still love them. Jesus wants us to love everyone no matter what. Do you understand?"

From the very back we heard Mackenzie's sweet and innocent voice. "I really love McDonald's."

7 Comments:

Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Yikes, I just did a little checking. Pepsico is also in that group.
Sigh.
Coca-cola is just not the same.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Down here in the Deep South we like Coke just fine, but I feel your pain.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Well, once I finish the Pepsi in my house, I will be converting.
I have the feeling that a certain dearly-departed friend of mine, who was a Coca-cola fanatic and with whom I waged many friendly Cola Wars, is up in heaven laughing at me right now ;)

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The plethora of Fortune 500 companies who support and advocate gay marriage and rights includes:

Disney
Microsoft
Proctor and Gamble
Kraft
Ford
Nissan
Anheiser Busch
IBM
Intel
JP Morgan Chase
Wells Fargo
Motorola
American Airlines
American Express

Just to name a few.

Are you boycotting products and services from all of these companies?

Just curious - seems it would be really hard to avoid all these companies on a realistic day-to-day basis.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Hmm, anonymous visited my blog and left the same comment, word for word. Another commenter had a very eloquent response.

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, It was me, Lyn. I left the same response because both topics were the same and I'm very curious as to how one maintains one's Catholic values in the face of an overwhelming corporate world that pushes its values onto consumers.

Didn't mean to offend, just looking to see how other Catholic women handle this.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Lyn, you did not offend.

For myself & my family, we "do the best we can." If that means no Pepsi, I will live without Pepsi. My children have never had their hair washed with Johnson's Baby Shampoo. I draw the line at avoiding medical items that cannot be substituted. But wherever possible, we try to avoid purchasing from companies who support Planned Parenthood and the same-sex marriage agenda.

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home