/> Raising Angels: All Too Soon

Thursday, May 29, 2008

All Too Soon

This morning as Mackenzie and I were sitting at the table waiting for her ride to school and going over the morning checklist, we got to chatting.

"Mama, did you know that today is the 5th graders’ last recess for the rest of their lives! I mean they never, ever get another recess for as long as they live!"

"Wow!" I responded to appease her. Then I got to thinking. "Mackenzie do you realize that after tomorrow, you are half way through elementary school? Three years down and three to go."

"Oh my gosh," she said as her eyes widened and her mouth opened. Her ride came and she was out the door in the blink of an eye. "Bye mom. I love you."

"I love you too. Have a great day!" Then she was gone.

At the end of the school year I tend to get hesitant about what I'm going to do all summer. I have so many ideas, many of which are too old, big or ambitious for the kids just yet. I find myself wishing they were older...wishing they were more independent. And then a moment like this morning happens and I realize that Mackenzie is already well on her way. She's going to be plenty big and independent all too soon.

It's moments like these that make me pause to appreciate my little family right where we are. Moments that make me choke up when I sing to Max and hold his sleepy body in my arms.

It's going to be a tough summer. It's going to be a great summer. It's going to be a crazy summer. And...it's going to be over before I know it.

1 Comments:

Blogger My name is Dianna said...

and i thought to blame my constant state of teariness this morning on post-partum hormones

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home