/> Raising Angels: Christmas Caroling

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Christmas Caroling

Tonight I joined a couple of other families to do some Christmas caroling. Three moms with three kids each - two of us pregnant, one husband, one single man who played guitar and one single woman who planned it all.

The kids were thrilled when I told them of our plans but when we arrived, sans Nelson who is actually laying the floor at our house (hip, hip, hooray!), it seemed a little more challenging than I first imagined. First, doing anything that involves standing after 7 these days feels like an aerobic workout. Besides that, two of my three are wanderers who do not read, and do not know the words to many Christmas songs other than Jingle Bells and Santa Claus is Coming to Town. Not to mention that the decision was made to carol in the projects, after dark.

We went anyway. My boys, a few times at least, actually tried to sing along even though they didn't know the words. My legs held out for the hour we walked around. Mackenzie led a lot of the songs with her perfectly pitched voice. And, I didn't lose anyone!

However, the best part was the reaction of the people who came out to hear us sing. Most were single moms who brought their children out to sing along with us and often ended up in tears. All of them were surprisingly receptive to our less than perfect singing.

It served as the perfect reminder of what the Christmas season is all about. Beyond anything that goes under their trees this year, I truly believe that for most of them, the few minutes we spent at their doorsteps will be the most meaningful. These are people living in low income duplexes on a side of town that most people won't drive on, let alone go door to door singing. And yet, here we were with our young children singing to them about Jesus' birth.

It was an even better gift to me. I know I have so much to be grateful for but sometimes I don't count the most basic gifts of being loved and respected. I forget that not everyone has the support of friends and family.

My mom has told me throughout my life that to whom much is given, much is expected. Hopefully, tonight I returned a little of my abundance.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is beautiful, Amy! What wonderful memories you are building for your children.

God bless you! Take care of that little baby!

1:18 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Thank you Shannon. The memory making is what makes everything worth while!

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home