/> Raising Angels: Blessed Be the Name of the Lord

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Blessed Be the Name of the Lord

Today has been the first time in four days that I have managed to stay off the couch. Three nights of no sleep because of a sore throat and fever, a nasty respiratory infection, absolutely no appetite, a few times of nearly passing out combined with the beginning of pregnancy nausea did not a happy camper make!

A couple of weeks ago I remember actually thinking that it might be nice to be on bed rest for a few days. I thought I'd love reclining on the couch and watching tons of TV. Instead it was more like coming in and out of consciousness, barely being able to move.

Last night as I was in tears over my stupid decision to eat Taco Bell at 10 p.m., I was literally crying out to the Lord. I was trying desperately not to feel sorry for myself but I was anyway. I felt awful and I didn't like it. It didn't matter to me that I know other people out there are suffering worse things. When you feel bad, it doesn't make you feel better to know that someone feels worse. It's all relative when you're in the throws of sickness.

This was going through my head as the tears rolled from my eyes. Then, something came to me. You know that guy in the Bible that goes by the name of Job? Okay, I'm not so out of my mind that I think my suffering in anyway compares to his, but the lesson he had to teach certainly applies.

In the midst of everything, when all hope was lost, when he had every excuse to lose faith, he said, "The Lord gives and the Lord takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord!" So there I was trying not to throw up, doubled over with stomach cramps, thinking about how today is my birthday and I don't want to be sick and the song that was playing in my head was "Blessed be the Name of the Lord".



Today, as I reflect on my birthday and am actually feeling like I'm back in the land of the living, I realize that I have already been given the best gift of all. Today I realized that I am not deserving of anything. God doesn't owe me anything. Every minute of every day is a gift from Him and no matter what that day brings, His name is still to be blessed.

Now, if I can just live that out every day, my 37th year should show a lot of promise!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Amy!

I am so sorry for your suffering. I am trying hard to lift up my own minor discomforts as well. I am surprised at how hard it is.

I am thrilled to be having another baby. You know how long we've hoped to be in exactly the place I am in now. Why, then, is it so easy to fall into "Woe is me!"

I am praying for you and so happy about your new baby. Hang in there.

Kelly

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Amy!

You are much loved and respected!

Papa and Damma

3:22 PM  
Blogger Blair said...

Happy Birthday, Amy!

Hope you continue to feel better.

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blessed be the day you came into our lives!! Happy birthday ,love ya lots and always!! mom and dad

4:31 PM  
Blogger Mom said...

Ooo, Happy Birthday!

I have been where you are, and know how you feel, and I know that you know that it will get better, but that doesn't make you feel better right now.
Just take it easy...try to sleep.
I'd bring you dinner if I lived closer.

We sing that song at church a lot. I love it.
Thanks for the video. I had never seen that.

Ok, feel better soon!

oh, and 37? So young.

6:09 PM  
Blogger nicole said...

Happy Birthday!

That is my favorite song (ringtone on my phone, I'm so annoying!) and speaks to me daily. Thanks for sharing your struggles and your joys. And I always tell people not to diminish their sufferings just because they are not as great as others. All of our sufferings have merit and are given to us for a reason, however big or small. Sorry to hear about sickness with the pregnancy, I'll pray for you.

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Amy! I hope you feel better soon. Amazing how a little being growing inside of us can make us fell SO miserable. That song is a sing along must!

9:57 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Thanks so much for the birthday wishes everyone! I continue to be so encouraged by your responses.

And...just for the record, I turned 36 - thus the comment about my 37th year. Of course, not that I'm counting or anything. I just don't want to miss a whole year in there somewhere :)!

11:12 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Oh, Amy, happy belated birthday! I do hope you are feeling better. I love that song, by the way...it's been on my mind a lot lately, too. In fact, ironically, I just searched YouTube last week for it and replayed it over and over. For me, it always provides an instant, much needed attitude adjustment!

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home