/> Raising Angels: A Rather Collegiate Weekend

Monday, April 23, 2007

A Rather Collegiate Weekend

Saturday we drove to Tuscaloosa, AL for the A-Day Game with my brother and his wife. This is a scrimmage between players of the same team to mark the end of spring training. It's always a big deal for Alabama fans, but was an even bigger deal this year because of the arrival of the new coach, Nick Saban.

I am the only one in my family who was actually born there and baptized in the chapel on campus and probably also the only one who had no idea what the big deal was about A-Day.

I have to admit however, that I began to understand it as we watched the stadium fill to overflow capacity and then listen as the gates were closed to even more standing outside. The 92,000 plus fans made the game the biggest spring game in history, which meant we were a part of history - pretty cool!

It was fun to walk around campus, eat at a great college dive and see the hospital where I was born. It was also fun to be among so many Bama fans and be able to walk down the street to the shouts of "Roll Tide!"

We got back home around 2:30 a.m. , got up, went to mass and then headed to Athens, GA to see my brother Kevin. He was inducted into the Arch Society at UGA. This is a HUGE honor and the most coveted student organization on campus. The application process is long and involved. Hundreds of students who apply don't get accepted. I am very proud of Kevin.

The Arch Society Members are basically looked on as Ambassadors for the University. They do every thing from greeting people the president brings on campus, to being on the field and in the president's box at football games, to showing new recruits the ropes. It's a very service oriented group that puts in a lot of volunteer hours on campus and in the community.

I don't know how he'll find time to do that while studying and participating in all of his fraternity's activities, but then again, college students learn to function pretty well on little sleep. I am certain that all of these activities will serve him well as he goes out into the work force in one more year. He will certainly stand out in the line of applicants. Good job Kevin!

5 Comments:

Blogger nicole said...

Spring football is great! We just went to our first spring football game this weekend. Of course, only 5000 people came, but that is a record for our school (UNT). We, too, have a new coach--a hot-prospect high school coach who wins everywhere he goes (we hope!).
So great that you share your family with all of us!

5:41 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

I really love my family (as I'm sure you can tell). Because of them, I really love athletics. And now, I may too love spring football if for nothing more than the beautiful weather!

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy,
That was nice of you to attend the Arch Society ceremony. I'm sure it meant a lot to your brother. I'm actually an Arch Society alum -- way back from the 2nd year of its existence. I enjoy reading your blog and am normally a lurker.
Jennifer

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't help but notice the "forced" smile on your little one (second picture)... made me laugh! :)

9:59 AM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Jennifer, I'm glad you enjoy the blog. I had never heard of the Arch Society until Kevin was in the application process. I knew it was important because of the number of prayer requests and help requests we received regarding the whole process.

Michelle, yes my smiley Dawson has become rather stiff in front of the camera lately. In this one he was merely mimicking us showing him how to smile. You should have seen the one he came up with on his own. Hysterical!

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home