/> Raising Angels: My Own Little Pep Talk

Thursday, April 12, 2007

My Own Little Pep Talk

The Glory Run has been looming in my mind. I had to skip ahead in the training program this week to get to the end. That meant that the goal was to run for 30 minutes or 3 miles.

Monday I had to use the treadmill because of time and weather. After the warm up walk I hit a descent pace, turned up the tunes and tried to distract myself. About 20 minutes into it I had to walk to catch my breath, but I went right back to it after that. When I thought I couldn’t take any more and looked to see that I still had 3 minutes to go, I got a little frustrated. However, when I checked the distance and saw 3.1 miles come up I was elated.

Granted, I was inside, ran the flat course and walked a couple of minutes; however, I did it. For the first time… ever…in my life…I ran for three miles -me, who couldn’t run 2 minutes without checking my watch a mere 6 ½ weeks ago (okay, truth be told, I still check the watch constantly, hoping the time will magically fly by).

I had big plans for my run today – the last one before the race. Visions of running the entire 30 minutes danced in my head. I reasoned that I would try to do it faster this time. Not…a good…idea.

My legs, for the first time, felt like lead. My head pounded and my heart raced. After a mere 5 minutes I thought I might actually die I was gasping for air so hard. I slowed the pace down and made another chunk of time, but then…I had …to walk.

I hated it and got mad at myself. I caught my breath and picked up the pace again. I just couldn’t push myself and ended up walking several times. I only got in 2.6 miles in the 30 minutes. I was totally deflated and decided that I would not run the race.

Now God has been using my early morning runs to speak to me about a lot of things and He wasn’t finished yet. I’ve known from the beginning that running this race was not about winning but about finishing. I’ve heard a lot from Him about not comparing myself to others in running or anything else. It doesn’t really matter how you get there, or how fast you go. What really matters is that you get there and you do it to the very best of your ability. God never really asks for anything more than that.

So Saturday, I WILL run the 5K – I may also walk. I will be humbled to be eating the dust of people much younger and older than me. I will be scared to death about running in my first real race – scared mostly because I don’t enjoy doing things I’m not good at with hundreds of people watching. I will be tired. I will be sore. I will be in pain. But…I will do it.

It won’t be pretty. It may even be a little ugly at times. It won’t be easy. And, for me, it will not be fun. However, I said I will do it and that is what I intend to do, no matter what it takes. Even…if…I am…the…very…last…one (oh please God save me from that at least).

I am really hoping that it all comes together - all the little life lessons God’s been teaching me along the way. I hope my focus won’t be on my place in the crowd, but on the finish line. I hope that when I hit the wall and feel that I can’t go any further, I will reach deep inside and keep going. I hope that when I cross that finish line, I will be proud of how far I’ve come.

3 Comments:

Blogger My name is Dianna said...

Amy-
You will rock! I will be cheering for you at the end. Just remember that lots of people walk the whole thing!
At the first annual Glory Run, Julianna (who was then 3) was cheering in her sandals and blue jeans for all the finishers of the 5K. Everyone had somewhat lost interest, but several minutes later Diane Brem rounded that last corner and Julianna jumped up and started clapping and screaming. Remember, Diane was at the beginning of treatment and fighting for life. I will never forget this moment as long as I live...We had been praying for her healing and Julianna,who was usually the prayer reminder, said mama I have to run the little race (tot-trot) for her--her body is broken and she walked a long journey for us. So with about 3 minutes to spare, I rushed to get her entered and she ran the little race in honor of Aunt Diane Brem, in her jeans and sandal, no less. She didn't win, she stopped to check on Atlas who had skinned his knee, but she finished. God gave my little girl compassion on that foggy morning.
I know that because of your determination that God will bless your dedication more than you can fathom! Your determination and endurance are so admirable! You encourage these same gifts in all the Julianna's of the world! Thank you, Amy.

1:08 AM  
Blogger nicole said...

How did it go? I am waiting to hear. I just ran my first 5K last month and it was hard, but it felt so good to be done. And, no one pays attention to anyone else, really. At least, I don't. I just try to focus on myself and my goals. Let us know!

11:14 AM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Dianna,
Your encouragement meant so much to me. Thanks!

4andcounting,
Just posted. Thanks for asking!

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home