/> Raising Angels: The Agony in the Running

Saturday, March 03, 2007

The Agony in the Running

Yesterday I got up before the sun so I could get my run in before Nelson left for work. I don't enjoy getting up early but I do enjoy the rare occasion to drive by myself. I often use the time to squeeze in a Rosary.

I was just beginning the first sorrowful mystery, The Agony in the Garden, when I hit the expressway. It was turning into a beautiful morning after a severely stormy night and I was meditating on the mystery while watching the sun begin to peek through the remainder of the dark clouds.

The thought briefly entered my mind about asking God to let this cup of running pass me by. It was only the end of week one of the training, but there was no novelty left. My body was sore and already screaming at me to not put it through this crazy punishment.

I know running does not even REMOTELY begin to compare to Christ's suffering and death, but at the moment it made perfect sense to me. My mind wandered to Jesus in that garden, in the wee hours, knowing what was ahead and begging his father to let him out of it. At the moment I felt his pain.

Why run? I hate it. It's hard. It hurts. I'm sure Jesus had similar thoughts. What's the point? These people will never appreciate this sacrifice. After all, I'm God. I can save them without all this pain.

But theses doubts were there only a moment because the next words out of His mouth were, "Not my will but yours be done." And because of that, look where we are today. We have the opportunity for Heaven and eternity with God.

I'm pretty sure that running this race has nothing to do with getting me to Heaven but it is helping me to better understand sacrifice at a physical cost. The hope is that after all this suffering, running will be easier (doubt it, but have to tell myself this anyway). I'll be able to reach the final goal. I may take the long way to get there, but if I stick to it, I'll cross that finish line and, regardless of the pain it took to get there, it will feel good.

Imagine how good Jesus felt on that third day, when his time on earth was over and he could go back home to Heaven. Easter is so much sweeter because it follows Lent. Let’s make the most of it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Very nice post. :)

Happy Blog Party to you! :)

~Beki

4:13 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Thanks so much. Tried to leave a comment on your blog but couldn't. I really like those earrings. So, if you want to you can throw my name in the hat!

I hope you'll come back.

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home