/> Raising Angels: The Pursuit of Happyness

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The Pursuit of Happyness

We have a strange Christmas tradition in my family. Santa always leaves us a movie ticket in our stocking and then my parents require us to go to a movie together as a family.

Tonight we saw The Pursuit of Happyness. I won't say much about it so I don't ruin it for those who haven't seen it yet. It is good. It is clean (only one bad word and its use is appropriate). I cried. I think most of us did. And, in case you are wondering, this did not include my children. I took them to see Charlotte’s Web.

I walked away with Nelson saying, "Thank God I have never had to live like that. Please God don't ever let me have to live like that." And then I realized, I don't think it would be possible for me to live like that. I know that no matter what happens, we both have family members who would give us a place to stay if we needed it. I have friends who would do the same.

I will probably never have the millions that Chris Gardner now has, but I know I am just as wealthy.

3 Comments:

Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

I received this book for Christmas and just started reading it. I know it's going to be a tough read, for the reasons you mentioned. But I hope it leaves me more compassionate.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

My sis-in-law saw this and said she felt so tense by the end. Like she was glad he ended up fine (or very, very great) but she was exhausted from the journey with him.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Rach, I was indeed exhausted. I think it was too much time on the journey and none on the destination. However, it did show perseverance and the willingness to do WHATEVER it takes to provide for your family.

Barb, Let me know how the book compares.

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home