/> Raising Angels: Veterans' Day

Friday, November 10, 2006

Veterans' Day

This morning we attended a Veterans’ Day program at Mackenzie's school. Included in the program were the usual Pledge of Allegiance, Star Spangled Banner, and patriotic songs. Mackenzie's class sang "My Country Tis Of Thee" and it was precious.

While singing the Star Spangled Banner, it happened. I got so choked up I almost couldn't sing. Before I became a teacher, that song merely signaled the beginning of sporting events. I knew it meant more, but I never really thought about it.

As a teacher I was conned into teaching American History (as an English major this was not on my list of preferred teaching topics). I taught at the small private school Mackenzie now attends. The superintendent who hired me answered my doubts of being able to teach the subject by saying, "You're better than nothing, which is what we have right now." Not words of great encouragement but enough to keep me from running out the door.

I loved the literature classes I taught, but I also learned to love American History. I had too. I had to study harder than my students just to know enough to stand in front of them everyday.

Today, it all came back to me. That song, so often taken for granted, means so much. We have so much to be thankful for.

I thought about our forefathers and what they sacrificed to give us a country in which we are free to worship as we choose. And, even though they are probably rolling over in their graves with the thoughts of how we've abused this privilege, it's still a great country.

I thought of my grandpa, a veteran, who would have loved seeing this program and knew he was probably watching from heaven. I thought of my Uncles Mike and Jim, also veterans who were watching from their heavenly seats as well. I thought of my Uncle Dick, who is retired from the military. I thought of Mark and June, who are currently serving in this war. I thought of all the men and women who sacrifice so much to protect this gift we've been given. I thought of all the men and women who gave their lives doing the same.

The theme here is that I thought. What a difference that makes.

Have you thanked your veteran or soldier today?

1 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Beautiful!

I think I'll go kiss my handsome veteran right now...

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home