/> Raising Angels: Viva La Difference

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Viva La Difference

Okay, okay. I know boys will be boys. But really, does that have to involve throwing a rock and knocking out the back windshield of a friend's minivan?

I was standing there talking to my friend when I heard the crash. I looked up to see a hole in the back window, glass all around and Aiden standing there frozen. I was so taken back by the whole scene that I didn't even yell at him. It was such a big deal that I didn't know what to do.

My friend was more than gracious. She didn't even appear upset. I, however, was absolutely mortified. "Why, oh why, do these things have to happen?" I ruminated all afternoon.

When I finally got home and checked the messages, I heard one from Mackenzie's music teacher at school. I returned the call still feeling, well I don't know, just feeling.

"Hi," she said cheerfully. "I was wondering what you would think about Mackenzie singing a solo at the Christmas pageant this year."

"Oh," I said slowly switching gears. "I think she'll do just fine. She never shies away from the spotlight, no matter the size of the crowd," I answered her.

"Yes," she responded still cheerful and a bit excited. "I think she'll be wonderful. Do you think she can learn two verses of Silent Night by heart?"

"No problem. She'll love it."

"Okay. If it goes well, maybe she can just sing the whole thing."

I hung up the phone with a smile on my face. God came to my rescue again. I love Aiden and know he didn't break the window on purpose or maliciously. I love Mackenzie and know she will be thrilled to be in the spotlight.

So there it is. A day with the boy. A day with the girl. I love them both. Viva la difference!

4 Comments:

Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Hmmmm....I think it was my DAUGHTER who, at just under 3, threw a rock and took out the windshield of my car. My husband watched her do it--he didn't think she could possibly throw a rock that heavy far enough to cause any damage. Then he said, "Look what you did!" She looked at that spider-web of cracks on the glass and said, "PRETTY!"

Congrats to your daughter on her upcoming solo!

8:24 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Amy,

Of course you know there is more to boys than breaking things! Aiden is a darling.

Rachel, mom with no girls to be in the spotlight but still in love...

8:28 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Thank Heaven for the red curls, big dimples and hearty laugh.

10:29 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Oh my, my, my.

5:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home