/> Raising Angels: It Was a Day...

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

It Was a Day...

Today was a day of dichotomy. Mackenzie started first grade which means she's at school all day this year. She's thrilled. I think I'll miss her. She came home already saying that first grade is way more fun than Kindergarten. Let's hope she continues feeling that way.


We checked her out of school early to go to my grandfather’s graveside service. It was really nice. He served in the Air Force for 21 years before retiring so they sent a military group all the way in from the coast to present my dad with the flag, offer a 21 gun salute and play "Taps". It was all very moving.


One thing we do at burials is offer everyone a chance to shovel some dirt on the grave. The first time I saw this happen I thought it was quite morbid. As I thought about it and experienced it more and more, I fell in love with it. It provides a great sense of closure as well as one last chance to serve. I hate it now when I go to a burial when I can't do that. It just seems odd to let strangers bury a loved one.


We were finally able to give Mackenzie her long awaited birthday gift. I finally gave in and allowed an animal in my house.

It wasn't long ago that I was dead set against it. However watching a heart-broken little girl wait on the porch for an hour for a stray dog to come back changed my mind. Besides, cats take care of themselves (knock on wood) and well, Mackenzie's reaction of total glee was enough to make me think we made the right decision.


It was a good day. It was a sad day. It was a happy day. It was a day of firsts and lasts. It was a day I will always remember.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home