/> Raising Angels: Goodbye Grandpa

Monday, September 04, 2006

Goodbye Grandpa


My grandpa died this morning. It was very unexpected. We last saw him on Thursday when I snapped this picture. The kids went out to his assisted living center with a few of their friends and sang vacation bible school songs for everyone. Grandpa's seat was front and center. He was so excited and proud of his great grandchildren.

When my mom called at 8 a.m. this morning and Nelson told me the news other than disbelief, my first thought was to thank God that we had the opportunity to see him one last time. To think that I almost cancelled it breaks my heart. Four of the six families who had said they would join us to sing had to cancel. Everyone had really good reasons. That only left five children to sing with mine. We were getting ready to drive to Illinois the next day. It was so tempting to say we'd just do it another time.

But something moved my heart. I couldn't cancel. I knew that once school started it would be even harder to get a group together so we did it anyway. And that is the last time I saw him. My final memory of him was watching him in his wheelchair just laughing and smiling at my children. I saw him beam proudly as he joined the others at his table for lunch. They were all so thankful and impressed. We walked over to him, we each gave him a kiss and said goodbye.

God was good to me. He was so good to give me a grandfather who loved me and was proud of me. He was good to give me a grandfather with a generous and loving heart. He was good to allow my children the opportunity to get to know him and to love him. Grandpa's candy bowl, Cheezits and cashews always made them feel as if they had discovered a treasure at his house. God was good to take my grandpa quick and without suffering. He was good to allow me that last day to see him, kiss him and say goodbye. I will be forever grateful that I had the chance to get to know and love my grandpa.

Today, as we stood by his open casket saying our goodbyes, the kids had a lot of questions but no fear, no sadness. It was good enough for them to know that that was just his body. It was comforting and exciting for them to think of him in Heaven with Jesus and grandma.

We all joined in an Our Father and then mom and dad said a few prayers. When they had finished, I asked Aiden, whose hand I was holding, if he had any prayers he wanted to say for Great-Grandpa.

"Jesus," he said, "please help Great-Grandpa have a nice trip. Amen."

Have a nice trip Grandpa. We love you and we'll miss you.

4 Comments:

Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

He looks SO much like my own Great-Grandpa, who passed away when I was 8.
I bet that right now he is in Heaven bragging about his grandkids and his great-grands, and how they came to sing to him and his friends.
Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and may perpetual light shine upon him.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I am glad to have memories of my great-grandmother who died when I was about 7. How wonderful that your children and he were able to spend some time on this earth together.

May his soul rest in peace.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Mom said...

My condolences.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Thanks so much for all of your thoughts and prayers.

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home