/> Raising Angels: Countdown to School

Friday, August 25, 2006

Countdown to School

This morning Mackenzie appeared a little disappointed as we were walking back to the car after dropping the boys off at school.

"What's wrong," I asked her.

"When is it my turn to go to school?" she asked.

"Well let's see, after two more times of the boys going to school, it will be your turn," I said watching her eyes light up in the rear view mirror.

Then of course came the inevitable question, "How long is that?"

She does better with events so I decided to initiate the count down in the following manner:

"Tomorrow is Saturday and that's the day we're going to Damma's birthday party. The next day is Sunday which is your birthday party followed by Bama's party. On Monday the boys go back to school. Tuesday is your birthday and we're going to the Aquarium and the Braves' game to celebrate your 6th, Bama's 60th and Uncle Aaron's 30th. Wednesday is our last day together with the boys in school so I thought I'd take you to get your toenails painted. Thursday we're going out to Great Grandpa's to sing your Vacation Bible School songs. Friday we leave for Illinois. Saturday is Alice's wedding. We drive back home Sunday. Monday we'll pack up your book bag and Tuesday is your first day as a 1st grader."

From the mirror I could see her eyes get bigger and bigger. Some things were punctuated with excited squeals. "Wow mom! That is a busy week."

Realizing all I had just rattled off, my expression was a forced smile, "You're right," I told her. "Won't it be so much fun?" I asked trying desperately to convince myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home