/> Raising Angels: Mall Moments

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Mall Moments

Mackenzie and I spent some time at the mall today while the boys were in school. When I can, I try to use their school days to etch out some good one on one time with her.

The mall was a bit crowded with all the back to school shoppers. As we sat in the food court while Mackenzie finished her lunch, I was looking around at some of the teenagers. Some were there with friends, others with parents. Some caught my eye because of the strange ways they were dressed or acting.

While watching a pair of very "Goth" looking teens lunch with their obviously conservative mother, I wondered how that happened. How do teenagers stray so very far from the way of their parents and why do their parents let them?

I'm not trying to be judgmental about the way they were dressed. Goodness knows Mackenzie already has a mind of her own as far as style goes. What caught my attention was the seemingly polar opposites at the same table, from the same family. I mean, there was nothing subtle about the teens at all. I just can't imagine that the mom said to them, "Why don't you paint your face white, wear all your black and put in your lip ring so we can go to the mall."

I looked Mackenzie in the eye and said to her, "Will you promise me that you'll always listen to me, even when you get older?"

"Oh yes," was her sweet reply. "I know that some kids are disobedient to their parents but I will always be obedient to you."

Okay, so I know she's only 5. I know that she won't always listen. I know that we won’t always agree on what she should wear. I know that she won't always be obedient. But at that moment, I was very thankful for her answer.

I was thankful for her knee length denim skirt and the satin ribbon that tied back her hair. I was thankful that we sat there looking eye to eye talking about her 6th birthday coming up and whether or not she wanted a vanilla cone before we left.

Hopefully ten years from now we can have the same kind of moment. Hopefully she'll still be willing to be out in public with me. Hopefully she'll still look me in the eye and listen to what I have to say.

Thankfully, God starts us out with babies so that we have a little bit of wisdom under our belts before we have to deal with teenagers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home