/> Raising Angels: Dawson's First Day of "School"

Friday, February 03, 2006

Dawson's First Day of "School"



Today was Dawson's first day at Mother's Day Out. I debated for some time about whether or not I should send him. With Aiden, it was a necessity for me. I needed one day when I could grocery shop and run errands without all 3 babies (Mackenzie 4, Aiden 15 m. and Dawson a newborn). Now that Mackenzie is in Kindergarten and Aiden goes to Mother's Day Out twice a week, I really struggled with whether or not I should do it.

We are currently in the process of building a home from the ground, or should I say basement, up. I have one brother who is getting married in July and three of us are in the wedding. Another one of my other brothers is being ordained a Roman Catholic Transitional Deacon in October...in Vatican City. It's going to be quite a year. Nelson told me that it might be nice to have a few hours a week to work on the house and wedding stuff and with his encouragement I agreed.

I dropped him off this morning and he never looked back. He waddled straight to the play dough and began playing. I took pictures, gave hugs and kisses and said, "I love you." No reaction at all.

After I left, I peered in to watch his teacher sit him at the table on the chair. I couldn't believe how big he looked sitting there. I couldn't believe that just 15 months ago I was sitting in the hospital with a newborn taking very deep breaths in preparation to return home. I was so scared to go anywhere with all three of them back then.

When I picked the boys up from school, Dawson cried because he had to leave. He fell asleep on the ride home and he stayed asleep even through the trasition from the car into his crib, where he is still sleeping now.

I guess he'll be okay after all...and so will I.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Good for you Amy. To everything there is a season. I just signed Augie back up for pre-k. I had to embrace the fact that I NEED THE TIME. With or without new construction, wedding, travel. We moms, we gotta do what we gotta do.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Amen sister! It seems we are such kindred spirits during this season of our lives.

12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home