/> Raising Angels: Talk Analysis

Monday, May 21, 2012

Talk Analysis

Thank you for praying for my talk on Saturday and for all your encouraging words. When it was all said and done I had written 20 pages to turn in to the organization. I can honestly say that I've given numerous public addresses throughout my life, and I've never put as much time, thought, prayer and effort into any of them (and folks, I put a lot of effort into pretty much everything I do so that's saying a lot).

Last Saturday as I hacked away at my keyboard, I actually got choked up. Writing about your own life is a great exercise. I know I have been blessed and I have a great appreciation for all that God has done for me. Sifting though it all, writing it down, and seeing the big picture for a moment, well, it was overwhelming.

I have had the benefit of spending time with people I know in my heart were actual, living saints (one of them, Mother Teresa, is already on her way). These people have given me the kind of wisdom I now pass on to anyone who will listen. They changed me. I also appreciate how blessed I am to have been raised by parents who love the Lord and have passed that love on to me. They are both full of great wisdom. Without them and their decisions, I wouldn't be who I am.

So how did it go? It's hard to judge your own talk. The high notes were that I stayed within the time limit, didn't read those 20 pages I had written, and allowed room for the Holy Spirit to lead me to say a few things I didn't write at all as well as leave a few things out I had planned on saying.

On the negative end, I cried. This is something I've struggled with as long as I've done public speaking. My first engagement was to do a reading at my First Communion Mass. I was crying so hard before mass began they all wondered if I would make it. I'm happy to say I did the reading without any trouble (seems I cried out all the tears before hand). I have been in a number of plays, television commercials and shows and I have never cried during one of them...unless it was called for of course. Where I struggle is when I have to get personal - when it's me up there talking about myself instead of me in character. I've gotten better because I no longer cry out of nervousness. What happened Saturday was when I was talking about something that really moved me, changed me, I became so overwhelmed by the scope of what had happened I was moved to tears. In fact, I made several people in the crowd cry along with me. I've mentioned before that even though I don't have it all together, I certainly do whatever I can to appear as if I do. Crying definitely does not help me achieve this. God keeps me humble.

At the end one of the ladies came up and asked me to be the keynote speaker at her next youth retreat. That was definitely the highest compliment. The opportunity to share what God has done for me with young people is an amazing opportunity.

When I got home Saturday, I walked into an empty house. Nelson was in a golf tournament and my dad still had the kids out at the park (Thanks Dad!). I sat down on the couch to collect myself for a moment and promptly fell asleep. I was exhausted. Seems that taking a look at so many years takes a toll on me. That and I had a really tough week with very little sleep.

In the long run, I'm glad I did it. I'm so very honored I was asked. I felt very special with my name on a reserved parking space and a place at the head table. I look forward to any opportunity to publicly thank God for all He has done for me.

I was debating about putting the talk up on the blog but decided against it because of its sheer length. Funny this post is pretty lengthy anyway isn’t it?

3 Comments:

Blogger Optimistic Existentialist said...

It sounds as of you did a wonderful job Amy! I know it's not easy doing public speaking but I admire you for what you did. Great post as always my friend.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Great job on the talk! Sounds like you did a great job!

10:08 AM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Aww...thanks you guys.

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home