/> Raising Angels: A Season's Change

Tuesday, December 06, 2011

A Season's Change

I'm shooting for a different kind of Christmas season this year. I'm making a conscious effort not to over-commit or volunteer for more than I can peacefully do. It's not that I'm not doing anything (seriously, that would be crazy), I'm just doing a little less. More than that, it's the way I'm doing things that's going to be the difference.

I refuse to let myself get frantic. What needs to get done will get done and what doesn't...well, that's ok. This season is going to be more about time spent than things accomplished. I'm letting go of the stuff.

I tried my theory out today. This morning I had to make a grocery list that included the ingredients for the homemade ravioli I'll be making Sunday to put in the freezer for Christmas. Max and I made a major shopping excursion to Sam's and then got home and had to find places for all of those giant containers of food. As I put the last thing away, I made ready to load back up to make the Wal-Mart run. Then Max interrupted, "I'm kind of hungry. Can you please get me some lunch? And then can you play a game with me?"

This is the kind of request I usually put to the side without any thought. I needed to get things done and only had about an hour and a half before heading off to tutor. But today, I made a decision for peace. I have to go to Wal-Mart tomorrow while Max is in school anyway. Why not?

I actually sat down at the table with Max and ate lunch, a luxury I rarely allow myself. After we finished, Max and I played a game of Memory. We ended and cleaned up just in time to get to the school.

It was fun. I was peaceful. I like that. Oh yes, there will be more moments like this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home