/> Raising Angels: Soup's On!

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Soup's On!

I tried this for the first time tonight. It was easy, make ahead, cheap, delicious and every single person finished their bowls. In short, it was a total win! And, just because I love you, dearest readers, I'm going to share the recipe with you. Try it and let me know what you think.


Classic Minestrone (Serves 6)
This recipe is from the October issue of all*you magazine

2 carrots, diced
2 ribs celery, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes with liquid
Salt and Pepper
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 cup small shell pasta or macaroni
1 cup shredded escarole or kale
1 15-oz. can cannellini or navy beans, drained
Grated Parmesan, for serving

1. Combine carrots, celery, onion and garlic in slow cooker. Pour in broth and stir in tomatoes, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper and Italian seasoning. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.

2. Thirty minutes before serving, stir in pasta, escarole and beans. Cover, increase heat to high and cook until pasta is tender, about 30 min. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot, sprinkled with Parmesan, if desired.

Note: I added some cooked Italian sausage because if there's no meat in the dinner, Nelson is totally all "Where's the beef?" I also doubled it and it totally filled my giant crock-pot but now I have a meal for another night. Sweet!

5 Comments:

Blogger nicole said...

Thanks for sharing. I can always use new recipes, especially easy and cheap ones.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Laura Mattis said...

Quick question about the pasta - do you put it in cooked or straight from the box? Sausage is a nice touch! Can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Hillbillburbian Files said...

I was thinking Ital Sausage would be perfect for the manly appeal, and then I got to the end of your post! Looks delish!

1:27 PM  
Blogger the holly said...

so excited about this one, aimes. i'm trying it this week!

6:09 AM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Alright ladies, I hope you let me know how it goes. It's even better left over!

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home