/> Raising Angels: A Peaceful Pause

Monday, August 15, 2011

A Peaceful Pause

In confession today the priest gave me some good food for thought. As usual, I was bemoaning my inabilities as a mother. I get too impatient I told Father. I get angry.

Sometimes our lives get very busy, he related. When you find peace, you'll have more patience. Try taking some moments each day just to sit and enjoy the beauty around you. Look at the trees outside. Watch your beautiful children playing.

My first thought was, "Seriously?" How can I take time to sit and soak it in? Do you have any idea what life is like? Then I remembered that he was sharing God's wisdom with me, not his. I felt the peace in his voice and it drew me in. Suddenly, I was putty.

Luckily, these thoughts came and went quickly enough that I was able to refocus and hear the rest of what he had to say. He recommended using my work as my prayer. The more my life becomes a prayer, the more peace I will find. The more peace I have, the more patience I will find. That might even lead to me wanting to pray more.

It all sounded so beautiful and hopeful...just what confession is supposed to do. There is a freedom gained and a joy you find with the anticipation of how good you have the potential to be.

Well, tonight after dinner one of the kids asked, "Can we go out and roll around in the grass before we take our showers?" I was so stunned by the request I was speechless. I haven't been able to pay any of the kids to go outside lately, it has been so unbearably hot. But tonight it was a beautiful 88 degrees so I obliged.

The kids bolted out the door like caged animals that had been set free. And, instead of going back in to get the kitchen in order with a little peace, I went outside with them. I watched and listened as they squealed and played. I showed my flower gardens the love they've been needing. We all stopped to talk to friends walking around the block. It was beautiful.

Showers, prayers and bedtime were a little more peaceful tonight because I was more peaceful. Instead of racing from table to tub, there was a moment of pause and it helped...just like Father said it would.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kelly@http:/inthesheepfold.blogspot.com said...

Amy - This is so nice.

When 88 degrees is a pleasant break, well, that pretty much explains many of the challenges we've all been facing.

Can't wait for the zoo!

Kel

8:18 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Sounds like a wonderful confession and a great day! have you read the book, One Thousand Gifts?? It really helped me to focus on the blessings and be more peaceful during the day.

10:18 AM  
Blogger nicole said...

I love confession! Our priests are such a blessing to us.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home