/> Raising Angels: Oh, Sweet Child of Mine

Monday, July 11, 2011

Oh, Sweet Child of Mine

Saturday we went to the lake with some friends. We swam for a good long while before having a picnic supper. We had our kids plus one with us and there were plenty of other kids in the mix. Nelson and I were doling out the burgers and passing out the condiments and chips. There was a sigh of relief when the two of us finally sat down and began to eat.

Max had garnered a space at a picnic table across from where we were. About fifteen minutes into the meal we heard a little voice from across the way. "Hey, did someone forget to give me my food?" Nelson and I looked at each other in utter surprise. Did we forget to feed our baby? Somehow, he went totally undetected in the chaos.

There were no tears. There were no tantrums. There wasn't even a harsh word from the kid. He simply stated a fact and then waited patiently while I slapped some ketchup on a burger and tossed it his way.

I watched him as he happily gobbled up that burger. Poor kid, I thought. By this time the other kids at his table had finished and rushed back to the water. Still there was no complaint from Max. He watched them swim as he polished off every bit of his dinner.

I was feeling terrible about my mistake. Then I looked at Max sitting there eating, happy as a clam. I was blown away by his sweet spirit. Here was this three year old, totally content to make the best of a bad situation. In fact, he was more than content, he was perfectly happy.

Tonight I was once again reminded of this sweet disposition of his when he came down crying because his back hurt. He never does this so I seized the opportunity to hold him for awhile and rub his back as he fell asleep in my arms. I can't remember the last time he did this and I was utterly amazed at how blessed I am to be his mother.

I was in an awkward position so I asked Nelson to carry him back upstairs. I watched him grab my baby who has suddenly outgrown his arms. His long legs were hanging over one of Nelson's arms and his arms were hanging over the other one. In the blink of an eye, he has grown up. And though I miss the baby he was, I am so happy with the boy he has become.

Of all the worries I've had about him over the few years he's been in my life, I would take any of them again and then some if it meant he would still have this same personality.

I am convinced if I could clone this kid of mine, I'd be a millionaire.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Your baby does sound so sweet! What a great disposition to have : ) I love that!

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home